Local time
Tomorrow, 00:56
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Riding Since
2016 Triumph Thruxton R rocks our world

The 2016 Triumph Thruxton R. It's everything a proper British cafe racer should be, and we love it!

Triumph have unveiled a whole new family of Bonnevilles for 2016 and of the lot, we love the new Thruxton R the best. Powered by a new Thruxton-spec 8-valve 1200cc parallel-twin Bonneville engine, the Thruxton R also comes with with tasty bits like Brembo monobloc calipers for the front brake discs, Showa big piston forks, Öhlins rear suspension and Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres.

The Thruxton R's new 1200cc fuel-injected liquid-cooled twin features ride-by-wire throttle and produces 112Nm of torque at 4950rpm. The bike's new exhaust system, with reverse-megaphone end cans "deliver a thunderous, rich bass exhaust note to match their powerful presence and performance," claim Triumph. Plus, there's ABS, traction control, three riding modes (road, rain and sport) and a slipper clutch, all of which make it amply clear that this Triumph is not just about show, it also packs oodles of go!

Other new bits on the 2016 Triumph Thruxton R include an LED taillamp, LED DRLs, USB charge socket, an engine immobiliser and revised instrumentation. Available colours for the new Thruxton R include red and silver, while the regular Thruxton is available in black, white and competition green. Available accessories include a sculpted cockpit fairing, Vance & Hines exhausts, rear mudguard removal kit, lower clip-on handlebars and beautiful compact 'bullet' indicators. Or, you can just choose from the three kits available - track racer kit, cafe racer kit and Thruxton R performance race kit, specifically developed for closed circuit competition. Oh yes, we like!
Read more »

By Faster and Faster

Nice looking bike, but a bit too specialized for all day riding - for me at least.
One of our club members bought a 2014 Thruxton and now regrets it.
The bike performs well and he loves to riding it, but the racy riding position becomes painful very quickly.
The bike is now up for sale.

I really like the red on here, I think you would need something else as a daily rider

Something I found out about the new Bonneville's and their variations is that the exhaust pipes don't run straight back to the mufflers (silencers) as they appear to do.
They curve underneath the engine to a resonator and then curve back out to the muffler.
A cover over the gap gives the impression of a straight pipe.
The left side chain case has a molded-in scallop like the Bonneville's of old as well as an "inspection" plate on the timing cover on the right side. which is where the points used to live in the old days.
All of this adds to the "vintage" look.
As explained in the narrative, ABS, traction control and other electronics is now incorporated into the bikes, and in my opinion, is bound to increase the Bonneville prices - probably by $2,000.00 - depending on the market.
Nice models BTW.....and the bikes too BGRIN

Nice models BTW.....and the bikes too

Hu ... what you saying are there bikes in those photos BGRIN

I would like to have a look at that exhaust as it sound like an interesting configuration.

Hu ... what you saying are there bikes in those photos BGRIN

I would like to have a look at that exhaust as it sound like an interesting configuration.

Me Too.
I read about the exhaust system in a CycleWorld article, but it was only a review from available information as no bikes are available for them to ride and review yet.
In the pictures above you can see what looks like a joint in the exhaust pipes.

Now that you pointed it out I am having a hard look at it, I am sure that red one has my name on it :D

pictures of the bottom of the bike. the pipes turn to meet the cat. i'm told the race kit w/the V&H exhaust slip on will eliminate the cat piece but you can also perform a cat bypass operation yourself. I did it on my 14 T-bird with no problems. gave it a deeper sound with more pull. hoping to do the same with the new Thruxton R when I finally get it in April/May. thruxton_bottom.jpg

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom