05 Speedy catastrophic motor failure

I looked into the wiring diagrams of Carb and EFI models and compared the differences to see if the harness could be re-wired and modified to fit an EFI to a Carb bike. Judging by the differences in it the harness inputs and outputs on the Carb bikes it would be possible, but if you don't have a good degree of knowledge on electrical wiring and modification I wouldn't recommend it. It would save way more time to just find a Carb engine and do a engine swap.
I agree with you.

Im late to the party here but if it were me i would find one of the last carb engines i could find or a very good low milage older motor and fit the upgrade , im not one to throw money at a wreck if its not viable but if its a tidy bike other wise then i see no reason not to sort it !

Im late to the party here but if it were me i would find one of the last carb engines i could find or a very good low milage older motor and fit the upgrade , im not one to throw money at a wreck if its not viable but if its a tidy bike other wise then i see no reason not to sort it !

I'm right there with you on this one, that is probably the best option. I haven't checked but I have seen a lot of speedmasters on craigslist in the US that have been dropped or have other issues with lower miles and minimal problems for pretty affordable prices.

My new to me (2 weeks) 05 Speedmaster with 4k miles recently suffered the dreaded idler gear boss failure when I went to start it last week. I removed the clutch cover last night to check after the whirring starter symptoms and low and behold both the engine crank case side and the clutch cover idler gear boss's were destroyed. And what-a-ya know, both apparently either broke or cracked previously because they were both welded (sloppily) and the welds broke on me, the new owner, before I even had a chance to ride the friggin thing!! :( I'm so pissed I can't see straight.

The guy I bought it from said he was the third owner and has only had it since April of 19 and denies any knowledge or responsibility for the issue.

So now I have a situation on my hands and sure would like some input and advice on the subject.

Do I
1) Attempt to get it repaired? From what I've read here and based on the fact that about half of each boss broke away where they were welded, it would be almost impossible to fix??

2) find another good 05 motor somewhere and make sure it hasn't been repaired and install a TTP Safe-start and be good from there ? I've seen a couple available for around 1200-1500.

3) find a good 07 motor that has the factory reinforced case and cover, much more expensive though. Also, if the newer motors are EFI, will that work in my bike with the electronics difference?

4) Sell the bike as-is for parts and lick my wounds and call it a day. This is a last resort as I want to keep the bike if financially feasible.

Help!!!!

Tom
Hi Tom, google TTP Safe Start, it is an idler boss repair / strengthener kit not long came available on the market

Hi Tom, google TTP Safe Start, it is an idler boss repair / strengthener kit not long came available on the market
Sell it a buy a reliable bike. I'll refrain from saying what brand that is.

Sell it a buy a reliable bike. I'll refrain from saying what brand that is.
I haven't been around this board in a while but I'll give you my update.

I bought the TTP Safe start a while back based on a number of recommendations. I removed the engine and took it to a welder who TIG welded the part into place rather than simply "glue" it with JB weld. I then filled the void left around the idler shaft with JB weld while the shaft was in the correct position. I had purchased a new used clutch cover on Ebay so the boss on that side was in good shape. Once that cured I buttoned everything back up and reinstalled the motor. Based on the strength rating of the JB weld I used, the repair should make the engine case side boss stronger than original.
I recommend anyone with an 05 865 motor to look into getting that Safe start part and installing as a preventative measure. TIG welding it may be a little overkill but I wanted to make sure it was on there for good. Here's a couple of pics to show what I did.

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 11
Nice work. Thanks for the update.

Looks good good idea!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom