08 Daytona Shuts Off

triumphchick675

Local time
Yesterday, 20:54
First Name
Colleen
My Ride
08 Daytona 675
Hello, had my bike a while has 12k mi on it. We just put a new rectifier and battery on bike. Took her out for maiden voyage and everything was fine until..... Bike got up to temp maybe 5-10min of riding came to a stop light and it seemed to have a hiccup. Went to take off and it chugged but regained power and I continued down the road. I turned from one road to another of course pulled in clutch and was down shifting then bike died. I was able to get her restarted with starter button. Bike was hesitant to stay running. (Thank God it was in a neighborhood) it would start but, as I would twist the throttle it would shut off, start and shut-off went on for a while. Went to a friend's house and we went to leave friends house things were fine for about 10 min again....this time on side of road in traffic got her running again and was able to pull into a gas station. Sat there for about 15 min crunk up fine and continued towards home rode fine for another 5-10 minutes same thing. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Why did you replace the rectifier at 12k miles? Was it a quality rectifier? Something is overheating and shutting off the spark, either the rectifier or the solenoid; after it cools down it can provide spark again, for a while.

Why did you replace the rectifier at 12k miles? Was it a quality rectifier? Something is overheating and shutting off the spark, either the rectifier or the solenoid; after it cools down it can provide spark again, for a while.
The battery was not charging we replaced the battery, then rectifier and the stator both. (Forgot to include that tidbit of information) We noticed the issue was only when it would warm up. Today after work came home to try to figure what is going on. Plugged it up and ran some diagnostics everything checked out until....... We noticed a warm smell and smoke coming from under the gas tank. Of course took off the tank and the plug from the stator to the rectifier was in the process of melting. Cut the wires and hardwired it we will see if this works.

Please let us know if that solves the problem.

Please let us know if that solves the problem.
Did not solve the problem. Have changed the tune(maybe with battery dying and changing electrical components created a glitch) nothing different. Issue only present when bike gets up to full temp so no codes to read and run diagnostics on laptop nothing either. Next to do is check the gap for the TPS not sure that will create intermittent issues but, at this point that's the next step. Any ideas??

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas.

Ok so since last update.... We have checked the gap for the CPS, cleaned the air filter( we were running out of ideas) removed gas tank to access the air filter and noticed what seemed to be oil come out of the fuel line.. yes oil!! So drained gas tank and put fresh gas in tank. Took for a little ride and no problems.. will be taking out today to see what happens on a longer ride.

Ok so since last update.... We have checked the gap for the CPS, cleaned the air filter( we were running out of ideas) removed gas tank to access the air filter and noticed what seemed to be oil come out of the fuel line.. yes oil!! So drained gas tank and put fresh gas in tank. Took for a little ride and no problems.. will be taking out today to see what happens on a longer ride.
That is interesting. Please let us know how the longer ride goes.

Great news TUP

Ok so just got back from 15-20 mi ride and everything is fine!! So we are equating the issue to bad gas. Just an unfortunate chain of events.
That is wonderful news. Thank you for reporting back. I love a simple solution!

Glad it’s worked out!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom