Shaun64

Riding for 42 Years
Local time
Today, 05:57
First Name
Shaun
My Ride
Street triple RS
I test rode a scrambler 1200 XE today and liked it, I’ve heard that the exhaust can get hot on your leg, my leg was fine today as it was cold in Yorkshire , the dealer was pushing me towards a decat as he said it helps with heat and sounds a little better, what have you lads found ? Cheers.

Qship

Smile, you're on camera. Somewhere.
Riding for 39 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 01:57
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Just curious why a dealer would push to make a bike illegal to ride on the road and possibly void the warranty by doing a decat?

Shaun64

Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Shaun
My Ride
Street triple RS
Just curious why a dealer would push to make a bike illegal to ride on the road and possibly void the warranty by doing a decat?
I think the main reason is for the dealership benefit because the dealer in question doesn’t reduce the price of there new bikes but will give you free accessories on cash sales,they offered free rack & decat,.over here in the uk bikes aren’t tested on there emissions on there yearly MOT but like you say it’s probably illegal,dealer said they would honour warranty.regards the reason for a decat it’s to reduce heat from the exhaust on your leg, there’s been a few reports that the exhaust can get very hot in warm weather and that’s why I asked the question to see how other scrambler owners are doing regarding heat on there legs .

Mike R

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
1200 Scrambler XE
Although the exhaust can get quite hot I find that the only time it becomes a problem is when the bike is stationary like at traffic lights etc if I put both feet down.

I now stop with my left foot down and my right leg as far away from the exhaust as possible. Doing this the heat is not a problem for me although I'll probably investigate having it de-catted one the warranty runs out.

Interestingly I was talking about the heat to one of the reps on the Triumph stand at the Bike show in Birmingham and he recommended getting rid of the cat although he wouldn't answer my subsequent warranty question!

Although emissions are not tested in the MOT at present in the UK they could well be in the future and I suspect that if this happens any bike that was originally fitted with a cat would have to comply or fail. A new header pipe with cat is over £1000!

Alternatively there is always this:-

Mike

Shaun64

Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Shaun
My Ride
Street triple RS
Although the exhaust can get quite hot I find that the only time it becomes a problem is when the bike is stationary like at traffic lights etc if I put both feet down.

I now stop with my left foot down and my right leg as far away from the exhaust as possible. Doing this the heat is not a problem for me although I'll probably investigate having it de-catted one the warranty runs out.

Interestingly I was talking about the heat to one of the reps on the Triumph stand at the Bike show in Birmingham and he recommended getting rid of the cat although he wouldn't answer my subsequent warranty question!

Although emissions are not tested in the MOT at present in the UK they could well be in the future and I suspect that if this happens any bike that was originally fitted with a cat would have to comply or fail. A new header pipe with cat is over £1000!

Alternatively there is always this:-

Mike
if you have a look on eBay mike you can buy a new set of headers £350 ish that have had the decat done and keep your triumph ones safe until you need them for the MOT. Thanks for advice over heat and how you cope with it, I’ll leave it for now to see how I go.ive ended buying from another dealer were the decat isn’t an offer but a much better deal, I hopefully get the bike on Saturday and it comes with just about every extra you can think of including arrows can.

Mike R

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
1200 Scrambler XE
if you have a look on eBay mike you can buy a new set of headers £350 ish that have had the decat done and keep your triumph ones safe until you need them for the MOT. Thanks for advice over heat and how you cope with it, I’ll leave it for now to see how I go.ive ended buying from another dealer were the decat isn’t an offer but a much better deal, I hopefully get the bike on Saturday and it comes with just about every extra you can think of including arrows can.
Congratulations on the new bike. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I love mine and a mate has just bought an XC

I think the exhaust headers that you have seen on eBay are the after market ones from freespirit parts I mentioned in my first reply

I'm fortunate enough to have more than one bike and I use the Triumph mainly for good days in the Yorkshire Dales. It's perfect for that.

Like you I got a stonking deal when I bought mine in June......99% Extreme Inspiration kit (I did't get the rear indicator relocation kit) plus tank knee pads. I've since removed the high front mudguard (personal choice) and added a tinted fly screen.

Hope to meet you in the 'Dales next season

Here's a piccy of mine!

Mike

Attachments

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 00:57
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Congratulations on the new bike. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I love mine and a mate has just bought an XC

I think the exhaust headers that you have seen on eBay are the after market ones from freespirit parts I mentioned in my first reply

I'm fortunate enough to have more than one bike and I use the Triumph mainly for good days in the Yorkshire Dales. It's perfect for that.

Like you I got a stonking deal when I bought mine in June......99% Extreme Inspiration kit (I did't get the rear indicator relocation kit) plus tank knee pads. I've since removed the high front mudguard (personal choice) and added a tinted fly screen.

Here's a piccy of mine!

Mike
Very nice!!

Shaun64

Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Shaun
My Ride
Street triple RS

Here's a piccy of mine!

Mike
nice bike mike , do the arrows sound any better than standard exhaust? Yes give me a shout when your off to the Dales and we can meet up .

Mike R

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
1200 Scrambler XE
nice bike mike , do the arrows sound any better than standard exhaust? Yes give me a shout when your off to the Dales and we can meet up .
The Arrows were fitted from new so I never rode with the originals on so I can't compare sound or performance

My mate with the XC had the originals so we compared the sound. The Arrows are slightly deeper and crispier but there's not a lot in it to be honest except the looks and weight saving

Mike

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
The Arrows were fitted from new so I never rode with the originals on so I can't compare sound or performance

My mate with the XC had the originals so we compared the sound. The Arrows are slightly deeper and crispier but there's not a lot in it to be honest except the looks and weight saving

Mike
Mike, you can take the baffle out. It is louder with the baffle out; but certainly not obnoxious.

Shaun64

Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Shaun
My Ride
Street triple RS
Mike, you can take the baffle out. It is louder with the baffle out; but certainly not obnoxious.
Mike will be along to correct me if I am wrong but usually the EU arrows don’t have removable baffles I found this out on my street triple but I was able to get a US spec arrow can which I could take the baffle out .

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Mike will be along to correct me if I am wrong but usually the EU arrows don’t have removable baffles I found this out on my street triple but I was able to get a US spec arrow can which I could take the baffle out .
Ah, thanks for that info. I did not know that.

Mike R

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
1200 Scrambler XE
I believe Shaun is right. The baffles are not easily removable although it may be possible if you are prepared to drill out multiple rivets!

Mike

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom