12V Outlet Question

Kikdrum

Local time
Today, 04:54
First Name
Mike
My Ride
2021 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
I'm trying to find an adapter that goes from the Euro Din style outlet to the cigarette style commonly found here in the states. I found them on Ebay and Amazon, but was hoping I could purchase one locally. Anyone had luck at an automotive store?

Had to buy one of those when I had my T'bird LT and now in use on my Tiger Explorer. Think I had to order from online back then as the Euro power sockets are not that common over here unless you have a BMW or Triumph. Maybe other brands as well.

Had to buy one of those when I had my T'bird LT and now in use on my Tiger Explorer. Think I had to order from online back then as the Euro power sockets are not that common over here unless you have a BMW or Triumph. Maybe other brands as well.
Yeah, seems like the best option. Walmart has them as well but still have to order.

I had to get mine from Amazon. Depending on what you are charging / running you can get an adapter that goes from din to usb. My din / usb has 2 USB ports and a voltage meter.

I had to get mine from Amazon. Depending on what you are charging / running you can get an adapter that goes from din to usb. My din / usb has 2 USB ports and a voltage meter.
Would like to see what that looks like . You plug it into the euro socket up by the key switch , right ?

Would like to see what that looks like . You plug it into the euro socket up by the key switch , right ?
Yep - check out the amazon link:

try the dealer, triumph dealers typically have alot of other branded accessories nowadays, if you cant find it there, try a BMW motorcycle dealership, they will probably have it.

try the dealer, triumph dealers typically have alot of other branded accessories nowadays, if you cant find it there, try a BMW motorcycle dealership, they will probably have it.
Thanks

I ordered one from the dealer when I picked up the bike . They had one in stock which was right angle shaped but it the bars touched it when turned fully . A normal stock item for them apparently . The cigar lighter socket is $42 cdn from Triumph ,will try local first . Genuine Triumph heated grip kit not getting good reviews on another forum .

I realize this is an older thread, but I just purchased a new Tiger 900 and I'm running into the same issue. The plug I purchased (which is also switched since that's a live 12v) (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y18N1M6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ) runs into the small cable tidy on the bars. I'm considering bending the tidy or finding another solution as its not super tight in the socket either. What has everyone else gone with? Thanks!

I realize this is an older thread, but I just purchased a new Tiger 900 and I'm running into the same issue. The plug I purchased (which is also switched since that's a live 12v) (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y18N1M6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ) runs into the small cable tidy on the bars. I'm considering bending the tidy or finding another solution as its not super tight in the socket either. What has everyone else gone with? Thanks!
Just Google , bmw Din to sae socket , and you find lots of stuff . Nippy Norman is a fav with the Beemer guys . It deletes the entire Din socket and gives you a cigar socket, I think . Fort 9 has one for 12$ cdn that plugs into the Din and has a short cable that becomes an sae socket . What are you going to be using this for anyway ?

Just Google , bmw Din to sae socket , and you find lots of stuff . Nippy Norman is a fav with the Beemer guys . It deletes the entire Din socket and gives you a cigar socket, I think . Fort 9 has one for 12$ cdn that plugs into the Din and has a short cable that becomes an sae socket . What are you going to be using this for anyway ?
Hadn't considered SAE, good call! Went with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S9LG3U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Thanks!

Looks strong and not to bulky, reasonable $ also . Should be a keeper

When you get the 019 cable let us know if it clears all all the cable stuff . What charger are you planning on using with it ? There are lots of us 900 tiger owners looking for the best solution on this one and I’m sure many of us cringe at those big chargers vibrating in that tiny hole . Can’t believe that triumph doesn’t have their own accessory for this . Nice to have the socket there but it’s a quiz that an old guy like me has little appreciation for . Please keep us posted .
Brooke

Sorry for the delay, kicking a cold. Good news and bad news. Good news is it fits in there tightly and there's enough cordage that you can add a USB SAE adapter like the one I bought (link below) and probably mount that on the inner fairing or zip tie to the handlebars. Bad news is either I have a defective DIN outlet or these just don't work well in general. I've tried three plugs from different manufactures and each is only turned on when you pull it out about 1/8 of an inch. If you push in all the way it won't turn on. I could add a spacer, but then its not in there snug. Anyone else have that issue? Solutions? Other option is to run a cable from the USB underseat compartment, but then I can't charge at 3+ amps. If its just mine then I'll ask about a replacement during my first service. Thanks,

Oh darn

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it the same but when I first started to use the DIN plug the first adapter I used bent one of the connecters in the bottom of the socket. Whatever I plugged in there just wouldn't connect well or would lose power during the trip. I looked in the socket with a flashlight and could see a bent connector that was not letting the adapter connect properly. On the Gen 1 800 this socket is always live, so I disconnected the battery and got a small flat blade screw driver and straighten out the connector. After that the adapters snapped into place a worked great.

I checked another forum and the 900 tigers don’t seem to be having issues with poor connection dins but they’re all having problems finding a charger that does get banged about when the bars are at lock . I’ve stolen Gearheads lead and ordered the short 90 degree tecmate cable . Also getting the blue small charger Tec 0-100 v3 and the short split cable so will have 2.1 amps or 2 x 1.05 . 1.05 should be enough to keep the 5 inch Garmin bright , if not will just have to use 2.1 . When the stuff gets here I’ll file a report .

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom