1966 5TA Speed Twin Help

Willpower

Local time
Today, 12:08
First Name
Mike
My Ride
1966 5TA
Bought my bike a while ago as a almost complete 'basket case'. So it's a slow plod getting everything sorted and rebuilding. All was going well until I came to fit the Pillion brackets and found a small bracket that looks like it needs fitting to one of the pillion bracket bolts. I can't find any reference in for it anywhere and I'm stumped! Any help would be much appreciated. Regards, Mike.IMG_2030.JPGIMG_2032.JPGIMG_2030.JPGIMG_2032.JPG

That looks like one of the tire pump tabs, there would have to be it's opposite about 12" away. I'm not personally familiar enough with the pre-units to know for sure.

Welcome!

Sorry, but I'm stumped too. I can't recall ever seeing a piece like that.

Hi Grandpaul, Tyre pump tab is a excellent suggestion and I'll have to look through the remaining boxes of bits to see if the other end is there.
Cheers, Mike.

Grandpaul guessed it right TUP TUP
It's one of two brackets that hold a tire pump.
I remembered that I have a Triumph CD that includes the parts book for the '66 500 and I went through it.
I was delighted when I found the parts on a schematic BGRIN

I highly recommend getting a parts book for this model. It will be a great help as you go along.

Unless you're going for absolute originality, and intend to carry a pump, I would not bother with the brackets.
Of course it's entirely up to you.

Yes,
Grandpaul got it spot on and I've now found the bracket in the parts catalogue in the 'Battery, Toolkit and air Filter section'. Not going to be a show piece so it's not getting fitted (unless I find the top bracket).
When I got the bike which had been stored in parts in a roof for 12 years, everything had been liberally sprayed with 'wax oil' (with which I would not recommended).
The swinging arm was seized solid in the frame, so bought a piece of brass bar and turned it down to suit and with the aid a FE hammer coaxed it out, cleaned it up, put the swinging arm spindle in the lathe, cleaned up a slight burr that was causing the seizure, refitted the spindle and applied plenty of grease - perfect.
After rebuilding the forks etc, I now have a rolling chassis - result.
The engine strip went well and somehow I managed to get away with just dressing the crank journals with very fine wet and dry. Barrels are off for a re-bore +020" and pistons are on order.
Apart from cleaning everything of wax oil, road dirt and muck, the hardest part so far has been removing the crank sludge trap. Ended up drilling a series of hole in the trap cap and knocked a old square shafted screw driver into it and with the aid of a series of spanners to give leverage the trap came free to reveal a solid block of sludge which I had to partially drill out. New trap fitted along with a hex headed trap cap.
Looking forward to the engine rebuild.
PS This is a slow time job as it's a retirement project that I'm plodding along with when the mood takes me.
Photos of the frame with seized s/arm. IMG_1895.JPGand sludge trap contents.IMG_1884.JPG

Fun stuff which I will be participating in much less, if at all. All my basket cases, projects, and non-runners have been sold.

Great progress WP TUPTUP
I too took on a retirement 500 project which was slow as I was learning as I went along. I hadn't touched a British bike in 35 years so had a lot to learn. It took nearly 18 months of off and on work, but I was in no hurry and wanted to do the best job I could. I also had a modern bike to ride so I wasn't wanting.
My bike was rideable and very shabby. It just needed a lot of TLC - a lot of TLC! I took it completely apart and started from scratch.
My sludge trap was packed full and obviously hadn't been touched since it left the factory, but I was able to get it out without any damage.
As you can see, it turned out quite nicely. I post this for inspiration BGRIN

front view.jpg

finished product.jpg

Looks a beauty and well done on restoring it. I'm truly inspired. I've a long way to go yet, but all good fun and keeping me out of mischief.

Here's something that I've never come across before. The old pistons 1 thou. Possibly a factory fit from new. IMG_1904.JPG

There's still a lot I don't know so can't offer any info on the pistons. Grandpaul may have an answer.
Great to have a rolling chassis TUP

I've never seen pistons marked other than STD" .020, .040, and .060 (although I know they are also offered in .080)

I've never seen pistons marked other than STD" .020, .040, and .060 (although I know they are also offered in .080)
Me too which is why I was baffled.

Milestone achieved. I've rebuilt the engine & g'box and finally got the lump back into the frame last weekend with he help of son and son-in-law, which was a target to do before the end of the year. That will probably be it till next spring when I've a some more funds carry on with the rebuild and the garage warms up. Have to say that of all the fiddly jobs the most trying so far was fitting the oil tank and battery carrier, but I got there in the end.
IMG_2058.JPGIMG_2059.JPG

Wow, it's great what you've done so far.
Excellent progress TUP TUP

Yet another major milestone.

By now, I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off it. Maybe sell a kidney and buy a nice heater for the shop and a stack of shiny new parts...

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom