1966 Bonnie cyl head question

chaz500

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
Today, 15:30
My Ride
none
just got round to starting my '66 chop after a full rebuild. have a misfire on the left cylinder so thought as there is a slight oil leak I took the head back off. the motor has had a rebuild but for some reason I didnt touch the head. the head has a couple of broken fins and a bit dirty but flat to 0.001" , so, looking to change the head , purely cosmetic reason as bike was starting and running before strip down.
my question is Ive the 1966 twin carb head which has the large pushrod tube holes, Ive seen a couple of 1967 heads in good condition but have the twin pushrod holes instead. Ive made a couple of tubes in brass where the castleated tops go through the head holes, Im going to have to re make shorter tubes.
according to the parts books most head parts are the same but will the heads from the later year fit the 66?

grandpaul

Old Bike Lover
Riding for 50 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 09:30
My Ride
Legend 900 Triple
YES, but you need to measure and determine any adjustment reguired to the height of the shoulder that holds the silicone o-rings...

chaz500

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
Today, 15:30
My Ride
none
thanks GP, I thought that was the normal thing to do , Ive made up brass tubes so have to dig through the different width seal rings, I bought 10 of each size when I rebuilt a 650 a few years ago.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom