1967/1969 Bonnie Rebuild Desert Sled Project

sikatri

Local time
Today, 12:47
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
I used to use a beam one, it got lost among many moves. I replaced it with two “click” type. Been pretty happy with both. Also store them in original container and zero after each use.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 14:47
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I used to use a beam one, it got lost among many moves. I replaced it with two “click” type. Been pretty happy with both. Also store them in original container and zero after each use.
I started out with a beam-type of torque wrench, but later bought two click/break-type wrenches; one to use in inch pounds and the other in foot pounds. They are handled carefully, always and returned to zero and stored in their cases.

Sundance

Riding for 4 Months
Local time
Today, 13:47
First Name
Brian
My Ride
formerly Bultaco Pursang and 2009 BMW K1300S
Thank you for all the great and personal information on torque wrenches. There are so many out there and at such differing cost levels it is good to have member experiences with several models.

Sundance

Riding for 4 Months
Local time
First Name
Brian
My Ride
I finally removed the cam bushings last evening, using the technique with a tap. Tapping them a ways and then they started to move and came out. Easier than I thought.

Apart from the damage that was existing in the right exhaust bushing, it seems good that I am replacing all of the bushings. It appears that all of the bushings are sintered bronze - except for the left intake bushing which is solid bronze. I would think this is not a good idea to mix bushing types?

Sundance

Riding for 4 Months
Local time
First Name
Brian
My Ride
Some Tappet advice needed. I had thought that 3 or my tappets were the “R” type and 1 was not. Well, after carful inspection I can make out an “R” on all 4 tappets. So I suppose the means the previous builder was consistent. This being the case, the exhaust tappets do not have a machined cut away space with an oil hole. My engine is from 1969 and I thought that this meant it should have the exhaust tappets with the machined flat area and an oil hole, which should face out on assembly of the exhaust tappets. Do I have my facts straight?

Also, I am wondering if the case halfs are from different engines? As I put the cases together the casting doesn’t seem to match. As to the oiling of the exhaust tappets again, on the right side case, the exhaust tappet oil feed drillway is plugged. So perhaps this is why the exhaust tappets have no cut out and oil hole. Perhaps stranger again is that the cylinder (An old Routt big bore) does not seem to have an exhaust tappet oil feed drillway that would correspond with the drillway in the case. If any members can shed some light on this tappet sling question I’d appreciate it. From what I’ve read, the 1969 engine should have the exhaust tappet oiling system.
IMG_1202.jpegIMG_1204.jpegIMG_1205.jpegIMG_1206.jpegIMG_1568.jpegIMG_1569.jpegIMG_1570.jpeg
Thanks!

Sundance

Riding for 4 Months
Local time
First Name
Brian
My Ride
Hydro blasting advice. I am going to take my engine parts to be hydro blasted. I am curious as to which parts can withstand this process. Obviously the cast engine cases - but does anyone also have the covers blasted? Or is this something that ruins them? Thanks for any advice.

grandpaul

Old Bike Lover
Riding for 52 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 12:47
My Ride
2000 Legend 900 Triple, 1969 Bonneville vintage roadracer
It won't hurt the covers, but it's almost wasted effort if they're going to be polished afterwards. (unless you do the work yourself, then it relieves you of some of the early stages of sanding)

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom