Riding for 28 Years
Local time
Today, 03:37
First Name
John
My Ride
1993 Trophy 4
Hi everyone

The coolant pipe leading from the water pump on my 1993 Trophy 4 needs replacing. It sprang a small leak on its bend and whilst I have had it welded on the spot of the leak I would prefer to replace it as its clearly got weak spots. Used ones available of course but they will probably be in the same condition. Does anyone know of a company who can bend metal pipes and flare them out.
Can you advise.

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 46 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Shane
My Ride
2019 Tiger 800 xca
Its a long time since i had my trophy 1200 so my memory of the pipe work is vague , can you post a pick of the hose ?

Oldmans Trophy

Riding for 28 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
1993 Trophy 4
Its a long time since i had my trophy 1200 so my memory of the pipe work is vague , can you post a pick of the hose ?

It's the metal outle

Oldmans Trophy

Riding for 28 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
1993 Trophy 4
Thanks for posting.. ... it's the metal water pump outlet pipe. Photo attached. The photo is from an eBay listing but as it's a used pipe like mine (prettied up with some plating) with no warranty as to the extent of the corrosion I wasn't interested.
John

Attachments

• Trophy 4 Water pump outlet pipe.jpg
    Trophy 4 Water pump outlet pipe.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 0

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 46 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Shane
My Ride
2019 Tiger 800 xca
I know its second hand but it would be better than nothing for now , and it would mean you had your old one to take round to find someone to make you one up .

What diameter is the pipe ? could you get one made up in copper plumbing pipe ? just a thought .

Oldmans Trophy

Riding for 28 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
1993 Trophy 4
I know its second hand but it would be better than nothing for now , and it would mean you had your old one to take round to find someone to make you one up .

What diameter is the pipe ? could you get one made up in copper plumbing pipe ? just a thought .

Oldmans Trophy

Riding for 28 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
1993 Trophy 4
It's quite a job to remove it..... Labour charges are a lot. The detailed photos I have are ok to send out for the purpose of (a) finding someone willing n able to make one (b) get a price. As these metal pipes clearly have a weak point on the bend (where I had mine welded) and are common to both Trophys n Daytona's I thought other people out there might have experienced the same problem.

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 46 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Shane
My Ride
2019 Tiger 800 xca
I dont think its that common ... ive had 1200 trophy 25k , trident 900 58k and a daytona 900 super 111 34k and none of them had a problem with that water pipe .
I think you've just been unlucky and im sure there are more out there , but yours is the first ive seen !

Oldmans Trophy

Riding for 28 Years
Local time
First Name
John
My Ride
1993 Trophy 4
I dont think its that common ... ive had 1200 trophy 25k , trident 900 58k and a daytona 900 super 111 34k and none of them had a problem with that water pipe .
I think you've just been unlucky and im sure there are more out there , but yours is the first ive seen !
Hmmmm...... it may be more of a time issue rather than a mileage one. 30 years is a long time to expect a metal pipe full of water that changes it's temperature range not to rust thru, particularly at it's weakest point I.e. the place it's been bent.

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 46 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Shane
My Ride
2019 Tiger 800 xca
I think if it was me i would be tempted to cut it at the bend and re join it with a rubber hose and two clamps , it bolts at both ends so shouldn't be able to move much .

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom