Riding for 53 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 18:16
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
Good day to everyone,
I have started to ride the 1995 Triumph Thunderbird more often since I raised the seat somewhat using a AirHawk whoppy cushion that seems to work. But I have noticed that the front brake fades if hard front braking is applied. My question for the group has anyone upgraded their front caliper from a two (2) piston To a four (4) piston caliper and what success did you have?

Ennis2020

Local time
Today, 01:16
First Name
Kelvin
My Ride
1958 Triumph Tiger Cub T20C 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
Good day to everyone,
I have started to ride the 1995 Triumph Thunderbird more often since I raised the seat somewhat using a AirHawk whoppy cushion that seems to work. But I have noticed that the front brake fades if hard front braking is applied. My question for the group has anyone upgraded their front caliper from a two (2) piston To a four (4) piston caliper and what success did you have?
Hello B25bsaboy , is the bike still fitted with the standard front brake hose ? If so i think its well documented that they were never the best and could expand slightly when getting on in years , Perhaps a new braided hose and thorough bleed through may be easier than modifying the caliper with the same or better end result

B25bsaboy

Riding for 53 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 18:16
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
Hello B25bsaboy , is the bike still fitted with the standard front brake hose ? If so i think its well documented that they were never the best and could expand slightly when getting on in years , Perhaps a new braided hose and thorough bleed through may be easier than modifying the caliper with the same or better end result
The older rubber brake line was changed, mater cylinder rebuilt and brake caliper rebuilt. I think the biggest issue is the the mater cylinder internal diameter needs to be increased in size! Just a thought, as I did this to a 1976BMW R75/6 and it greatly improved the braking powe.

Velcro

Riding for 7 Years
Local time
My Ride
Thunderbird 900
If you can find the front left hand caliper from a CB1000R with ABS, it is a straight bolt on. It’s a three pot set up.

Gogreen

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
First Name
Phil
My Ride
Thunderbird Sport; T140D
The Nissin 3 piston and later 2 piston sliding calipers fit, try your local breaker, CBF600/1000 models and others. 4 piston units don't fit as the inner piston area fowls the spoked wheels. Before buying though do the usual, service the caliper with new seals new fluid and same for master cylinder. should have braides hoses as standard, maybe good quality new pads may help.

Brett Taane

Riding for 36 Years
Local time
Today, 10:46
First Name
Brett
My Ride
2001 Triumph Thunderbird
The Nissin 3 piston and later 2 piston sliding calipers fit, try your local breaker, CBF600/1000 models and others. 4 piston units don't fit as the inner piston area fowls the spoked wheels. Before buying though do the usual, service the caliper with new seals new fluid and same for master cylinder. should have braides hoses as standard, maybe good quality new pads may help.
Do you require adaptor or straight bolt up, what year bike.Have you actually fitted one?

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom