1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900 - Needle Clip Height?

B25bsaboy

Local time
Today, 07:33
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
After I reassembled my MK-BST36 C326 carburetors, I began to think what is the correct height should the clip be set at?
From the research that I have been able to gather, the clip is sitting at the top groove. When I looked at mine, they are sitting at bottom, which tells me the needle is running really rich.
Can anyone enlighten my poor brain to rest the clips.
My altitude here is 2395 from sea level.

Attachments

• IMG_2976.jpeg
    IMG_2976.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2
Most of the carb models from the 885 motors were 2nd ring from top but thats here in the uk , they may have been set differently for your country and area ?

Most of the carb models from the 885 motors were 2nd ring from top but thats here in the uk , they may have been set differently for your country and area ?
For Calgary, Alberta Canada. 3,428 feet above aea level!

You may need to experiment a bit. Logic says at higher altitudes you want a leaner mix due to lack of air, but at 2400 ft that isn't a major problem. I would put it at the center position and then use my color tune to get the idle mix correct.

A road test (or dyno tuning) will tell you if the transition at 4,000 RPM is either to rich or too lean at that setting when you go from intermediate to main jets.

CV carbs automatically compensate for altitude in the needle operating range. a slight adjustment of the idle screw is often all you need. It may be a little rich on the top end, but unless you live there, not worth worrying about.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom