1996 Adventurer 900 Will Not Crank

Carmelo

Riding for 27 Years
Local time
Today, 06:42
My Ride
1996 Adventurer 900
Please let me know if this is a wrong forum to post to (I'm a new member).
When I turn the key, the check lights do not come on and bike won't crank - no response at all.
Turn signals work, headlight and brake lights do not.
I put in a new fully charged battery and replaced all fuses.
Any ideas on what may be the cause?
Thanks.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
I this a new to you motorcycle and when was it known to last run? Juice isn’t getting to where it needs to go, but might help knowing a bit of history.

Carmelo

Riding for 27 Years
Local time
My Ride
1996 Adventurer 900
Thanks for your reply, sikatri. Got the bike last year (my first Triumph) and it ran like a champ until now. About a week ago, the bike died at highway speeds - I thought I ran out of gas, put it on reserve, started right up - no problems. A couple of days later, at cold start it would not turn over (all panel lights were on) but I thought the side stand may not have retracted all the way - made sure side stand was tucked in and it started (I'm not sure that was the problem but that was the last action before it started). Two days ago there was no response at all - no check lights on instrument panel, no clicks. I'm still befuddled about the many "safety" features (side stand must be tucked in, clutch engaged even though it is in neutral, etc.) so I was hoping it is an operator error. I have the electrical diagram and am planning to start troubleshooting but am not looking forward to it.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Well it’s all guess work for now. Start tracing the problem. Spark plugs won’t help if it doesn’t turn over, perhaps ignition coil. Perhaps the rectifier has given up and died, but I’d at least expect it to turn over if a good battery is in place. Recheck the battery voltage, check the ignition switch since no engine light comes on, then check the ignition coil. That’s where I would start. Then after you get it cranking follow through by looking at the rest of the system. Once one item goes, others might be nearing trouble. Tell us what you find. Ignition switch first.

Carmelo

Riding for 27 Years
Local time
My Ride
1996 Adventurer 900
Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

Qship

Riding for 42 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 08:42
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
I believe the older T'birds/Adventurers had a problematic ignition switch. Maybe google it and see if any symptoms match yours.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom