1997 Triumph Tiger starting issues.

Jirwin

Local time
Today, 00:34
First Name
Jeff
My Ride
1997 Triumph Tiger & 2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
New to me 1997 Triumph Tiger. I don’t believe it has been run in a few years, maybe longer. It has 65,000 miles on it. Picked up today it has some issues: won’t start, but does turn over; throttle will not turn it is literally stuck with very little play, fuel on/off leaks, and brakes are tight (seem engaged - hard to push). I was think about buying brake rebuild kits and cleaning them, cleaning the carbs and possibly rebuilding them if they seem to need it, and need to replace on the fuel on/off valve - it leaks in the on position. I also bought new plugs, oil and filter. I just want to get it running. Am I missing anything I should probably do? I am not the most mechanically gifted/sound person in the world. Thanks for any and all advice. Cheers
6BC44697-63BD-42A3-A72E-29D2A4324401.jpeg

Sounds like you are going down the right path.

Looks like you are doing the right things. Keep us posted on your progress.

Got the fuel tank off today, no easy feat, could not get one of the fairing bolts out so had to remove them together. When I moved the tank the fuel line broke, wondering if that could be my starting issues ?

I still want to clean the carbs while I have it off and replace the plugs. It seems a rather daunting task with everything packed in there like it is. I really wish I could find a video which I have yet to accomplish or better schematic on how to do it.

While it is all off I may replace all the fairing bolts still up in the air about that.

So who knows anything about the Keihin carbs? When I removed them from the bike to clean I broke one of the “t-vent” pieces. There are two on it and one fuel line attachment piece. I checked on line and found one out of jolly England. It came in the mail and it is not the part, it is hard plastic I need a rubber one. I guess my first question would be if this is supposed to be the OEM part then why isn’t it? My second question is what can I do to just rig it, tape a hose on it for the vent, is it even necessary? Any and all help is appreciated.

At witts end and the limit of my mechanical ability. Carbs are back together (cleaned them by soaking in carb cleaner and blowing them dry), did not disassemble and clean, But they are back on the bike without airbox in place. Won’t start, backfires and wants to start, using starter fluid. Just keeps turning over for a second and won’t run. Any suggestions? Maybe I need to rebuild carbs completely?

I thinl I would rebuild them completely. I have cleand carbs as you did and still had problems. When I tore them down and cleaned the jets, it solved the problem.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom