1998 Trophy 1200: Having Starting Problems.

orcasman

Local time
Today, 15:20
First Name
christopher
My Ride
triumph trophy 1200
I bought a 1998 trophy 1200 last year in May and have had nothing but fun on it. last winter i started having an issue with starting the bike. when i would push the stater button it would not start the motor, but if i moved the left hand controls around the bar it would actuate the starter and start the bike. this went on for about a month and the day after christmas i broke my ankle and have not been able to ride at all. fast forward 5 months: i go to start the bike and the starter starts to go and just stops. so when i push the starter button i get nothing. i have done lots of diagnosing and have come up empty. just to list what i have done: i have a new battery, i have checked all of the fuses and everything looks good, i have checked the kickstand switch and it is functioning properly, i have checked the starter relay and it is fine ( the starter turns the motor over when linked directly to the battery), i have checked the clutch switch ( it had no continuity when checked with and ohm meter. i took it apart and cleaned it real good with alcohol and put it back together. still i don't seem to have any continuity ). is there anything that i have missed in my diagnostics? is there a way to bypass the clutch switch to make the bike run? any suggestions that y'all might have would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Hi there,
First of all to bypass the clutch switch simply join the wires by bridging them with another peace of wire , 2) i think you answered your own question ? .... the issue is either in the starter button switch gear or the harness that goes to it .
check the plug on the end of the harness for dirt or corrosion and clean it check for any breaks or pinching in the harness , and last of all check the switch gear for corrosion or breaks in wires of soldered joins ........ let us know how you get on .

thank you shanered6 for your response. i by passed the clutch switch with a piece of wire and the bike turned right over. unfortunately the new battery was a little low from sitting connected to the bike for over a month, i have it on the charger now and will continue with my process once it has enough juice. i will keep you informed during my process. hopefully i'm riding her hard in the next hour or two.

ok i got her started and she purrs like a kitten. i took her for a ride last evening and everything seems to be fine. thank you for the help.

No problem bud glad she's going again TUP

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom