2008 Bonneville stalling problem

tkelder

Local time
Yesterday, 19:41
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville Black
I need help bad. I recently took my bike to the dealer with a bad gasoline issue. They drained the tank and cleaned the jets. When I picked it up it started and idled great but ever since I got it back the engine stalls periodically when the clutch is engaged. The engine does not sputter it just stops. The dealer thought it was an electrical issue so they replaced the ignition sensor. I still have the problem. Because I never had a problem until the bad gas issue I feel this is still a fuel system issue and not an electrical problem. There is no pattern to when this occurs except that it happens after the bike warms up (five to ten minutes of riding). My bike is in very good condition with low mileage. I also had the air box removed and added a custom exhaust system. Any suggestions as to what is causing this would be most appreciated.

I am not sure if a fuel issue would make it just stop dead like this and you would normally still have it running on at least one cylinder thus giving you a misfiring effect. This sounds more like the kill switch is being engaged in some manner.

Thanks for the reply. I will have the dealer check out the wiring for the kill switch. I did have them check everything electrical before and that is why they replaced the ignition sensor. When the engine stops it just stops but will restart immediately. This has really affected my riding pleasure. I really wish I could solve it.

Look at the kill switch on your side stand and see if this maybe the issue. Does the bike stop dead when you encounter a bump in the road at all

Thanks, I will have the dealer check the kick stand switch also. The bike has never stalled while going over bumps or even speed bumps. I start it up and let it idle until warm then I ride around for about three miles. Anytime after that when the clutch is engaged it just stops. Especially when I am standing at a light. It has also stopped when in neutral. I have also been told it might be the gas tank vent valve or maybe it is running to rich. I am going to have the plugs pulled but I am not holding out any hope. I fear this may be an electrical problem that I will not be able to find. The dealer is saying they are almost out of options. Unfortunately here in Hawaii there is only one dealer in the whole state and no one else will work on the bike. I have called several other bike shops and they tell me no because they don't have access to get parts easily.

It is a problem when you don't have many dealer to choose from, maybe someone else may have ideas on this one as well

I think dave is spot on its ether your side stand switch or your clutch lever switch , sounds to me like one of them is sticking try a bit of wd40 on the pushrods and work them in and out should do the trick.
I had the same trouble with my tiger after standing through the winter it would it start but would cut out when I pulled the clutch in, it was a sticky side stand switch .

I'm taking the liberty of moving this thread to the proper section where it is likely to get more forum involvement and a quicker resolution (although i think it's well on it's way)

EDIT: HA!!! While I was "moving" the thread, somebody beat me to it!

Lol yes I moved it :y2:

That Dave, he's faster than a speeding bullet :y2:

OK guys here is the latest. I took the bike out today and it didn't quite shut down but did backfire once. Also while idling it would periodically almost stop and make this short sound just prior to almost stalling. It did not stall because the idle was at 1500. If it had been at 1000 I am sure it would have stalled out several times. If I stop the bike with the kill switch or side stand there is no sound it just stops. When it stalls out it makes this sound first and I cannot tell it is coming from exhaust or electrical system.

Ok so now it looks like we not looking at a kill switch problem here. I would say pull the plugs as this can tell you a lot about what the issue maybe.

Large image

If the problem was the ignition sensor, the bike would start cold, but refuse to start when warm. It wouldn't stop running.

If it's the fuel vent, then you can test that theory by riding with the fuel cap ajar and seeing if that ends your stalling problem.

Posted with TapaTalk

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom