Gleeso

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Today, 03:36
First Name
Mick
My Ride
2014 Speedmaster
Newbie to site,any tips on restoring the finish on matt black wheels?

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 19:36
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Good question. I look forward to the answers.

ManInTheJar

Riding for 46 Years
Local time
First Name
David
My Ride
Tiger 800XRXand Street Triple R
Powder coating is my go to for wheels. I have used it for both cast and spoked wheels. Cast wheels are really straightforward, a decent powder coated will be able to remove/refit the tyres, blast the wheels and coat them in a variety of finishes. Spoked wheels are a bit more complicated, they need to be dismantled first to let the hubs and rims be blasted and coated then rebuilt again using new spokes if required (wheel building isn't mega expensive). For both types I would always drift out the old bearings/seals and fit new ones on completion. A good tip is to make sure the powder coaters are familiar with motorcycle wheels and know which areas such as mating and bearing surfaces to mask off - if in doubt walk away.

I've worked on loads of bike restos and taught myself how to rebuild spoked wheels for refurbishment, it isn't too bad if approached methodically and you measure the offset, radial and lateral offset accurately plus make sure all spokes have an even tension and the correct spoke pattern It helps to have good spatial awareness.

Gleeso

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Mick
My Ride
2014 Speedmaster
Powder coating is my go to for wheels. I have used it for both cast and spoked wheels. Cast wheels are really straightforward, a decent powder coated will be able to remove/refit the tyres, blast the wheels and coat them in a variety of finishes. Spoked wheels are a bit more complicated, they need to be dismantled first to let the hubs and rims be blasted and coated then rebuilt again using new spokes if required (wheel building isn't mega expensive). For both types I would always drift out the old bearings/seals and fit new ones on completion. A good tip is to make sure the powder coaters are familiar with motorcycle wheels and know which areas such as mating and bearing surfaces to mask off - if in doubt walk away.

I've worked on loads of bike restos and taught myself how to rebuild spoked wheels for refurbishment, it isn't too bad if approached methodically and you measure the offset, radial and lateral offset accurately plus make sure all spokes have an even tension and the correct spoke pattern It helps to have good spatial awareness.
Thanks for the reply!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom