2015 Thruxton 900 Bobbins For Paddock Stand

jlap2010

Local time
Today, 03:00
First Name
John
My Ride
2015 Thruxton Ace
Good afternoon - I joined this forum in the hopes of finding an off the shelf solution for my bike, but in between joining and posting here I have come to the conclusion that there isn't one. So I'll post what I am trying instead, please let me know what you think.

I bought a Dynamoto stand to easily maneuver my bike around in a small garage, and I love it. The only issue is that my Thruxton doesn't have bobbins, or threaded holes (like the RS does, I believe) for me to put in bobbins. I bought a TEC Paddock Stand Bobbins Kit, which is a nicely made threaded 8mm aluminum shaft that goes through the hollow axle, with machined bobbins to screw on each end. However, I found that the left side of the wheel is just slightly too small for a threaded 8mm bolt, and the right side happens to be slightly too small for a threaded 6mm bolt.

What I ended up doing was purchasing a 5mm steel threaded rod and some nuts to go through the axle just as the TEC part did, and combining them with the M6 Elevation Paddock Stand Bobbins. I've got the bike up on the paddock stand right now on this, and it seems to be working even though the rod is flexing.

I am concerned about the flexing and extra space in the axle, and am looking now for 5.5 mm threaded rods, or 6mm smooth rods (I will then thread it for M5 nut). The small end of the opening in the axle is 7mm, so I want to get as close to that as possible.

I’m thinking if you have the bobbins mount through the axle you’ll be limiting the operations you can perform. Removing the rear wheel for one, adjusting the chain will be much more difficult. Maybe get a stand that doesn’t need the bobbins.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom