Local time
Today, 22:08
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Riding Since
102715-2016-triumph-Street_Twin-f.jpg

Just because the Street Twin is the smallest displacement and will carry the lowest MSRP (when it is announced along with the specifications in December) doesn’t mean it isn’t important to Triumph. The Street Twin could, in fact, become the most important of the new Bonnevilles because it is aimed at both a younger market and at less experienced riders which could have the long-term effect of bringing these riders into the Triumph fold. Featuring a 900cc engine that is designed for smooth, responsive, and friendly power delivery, the Street Twin is far from being the forgotten kid brother of the larger Bonnies. Instead, it receives five different color options (more than its 2016 siblings) and a host of accessory parts.

All aspects of the Street Twin are directed at ease of use and riding fun. The tank and seat front are narrow and combine with the moderate seat height to enable a wider swath of riders to plant their feet comfortably at a stop. The riding position is comfortably relaxed with minimal forward lean and the pegs directly below the rider. Triumph claims the handling is similarly designed to be neutral steering yet agile and confidence inspiring.

The Street Twin offers an attractive package and an accessible personality.

The 900cc “high torque” eight-valve parallel-Twin engine was designed to deliver its motivation as low as possible in the rpm range. When compared to last year’s 865cc mill, the 900 puts out 59 lb-ft at 3200 rpm which translates into an 18% increase. Similarly, thanks to the increased efficiency allowed by liquid-cooling, the 900’s claimed mpg is a surprising 36% better than the 865. A “slip assist clutch” offers lower clutch effort and easy engagement for new riders, and the r-b-w throttle will help manage the bountiful torque.

This oxygen sensor tucked away next the the exhaust manifold provides an example of how Triumph disguises technology.

The Street sports other high-tech features we expect from current motorcycles. ABS is available and can be switched off. Traction control is another benefit we’ve come to appreciate. A USB plug is available for device charging. The speedometer offers more than just speed, including gear-position indicator, dual tripmeters, range to empty, average and current MPG, fuel level, and controls to disable TC and ABS. Also, available tire pressure monitor and heated grips will display status on the LCD screen. Oh, and there’s a clock.

The Street Twin’s Brat Tracker Inspiration Kit, featuring a Vance & Hines slip-on, a ribbed seat, barrel grips, and LED turn signals.

The Street Twin rolls on cast wheels wearing 100/90 R18 front and 150/70 R17 rear Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp rubber. A single front disc of unreleased dimensions is squeezed by a two-piston caliper. A smaller rear disc gets the same from a pair of pistons. A conventional fork is topped with gaiters for the appropriate look. The tank is compact and narrow, while the stepped seat suits the classic style of the Twin. The dual shocks are preload adjustable via stepped collars.

Two Inspiration Kits are offered for the Street Twin. The first is a Scrambler version which features a Vance & Hines high-mount exhaust, a ribbed seat, a rear fender eliminator, barrel grips, compact LED signals, and a brushed aluminum bash plate. The Brat Tracker inspiration kit includes Vance & Hines slip-ons, a black seat, plus the aforementioned signals, grips and bash plate. Finally, the Urban kit has a dropped “ACE” style handlebar, a tinted flyscreen, a single leather and waxed cotton saddlebag, plus the Vance & Hines slip-ons and compact indicator lights.

Five color options await the prospective Street Twin buyer. Two colors, Cranberry Red and Aluminum Silver, receive tank and wheel stripes. The remaining three colors, Matt Black, Jet Black, and Phantom Black (with a hint of pearl), are all solids.

Yes, we wish we had an MSRP, but we’ll just have to wait

2016 Triumph Street Twin appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

2c-lGFwStEU

Oh man this red one is great

It's nice, but I don't care for the black engines on any bike.
I like the new T120 best.

I really like everything about it and that colour is just what I like

Theres a lot i like but a lot i don't too. Major don't: engine. Why oh why not the 1200 ?! Ok, i get the "new rider" thing but does it really matter? I think a new rider isn't going to have any notably harder time riding that than the 1200. The street twin ids the only one i would consider because i will not have a spoked bike and it's the only new one with cast wheels. Gimmie that bike with the 1200 and a chrome/aluminum engine finish and i'd be all over that thing. Nice as is, but when they come out with the 1200 version at the same time it's hard to justify going with the smaller engine. Hopefully they will have more variants to come. Maybe even a cruiser to take the place of the speedy and america or maybe even to sit beside them in the lineup.

The other problem with all the new bikes is they will no doubt have the tamper proof ECU so mods may not be an options unless someone like the tuneecu crew cracks that protection. Surely the new 1200 models would go like crazy with simple exhaust mods and tuning.

I can see many variations of this being asked for but then they also talking about loads of Triumph mods that can be purchased for it as well. I really do like the look of this one and especially the red

yeah, but the one mod you can't do is make it a 1200. The 1200 models i don't like because 1-spokes, 2-pea shooters, and 3-the seat/fender. I like the street twin in all those areas worlds more and to do those things to the T120 would be very expensive. Oh well. I was thinking that i'm getting up there and it's getting harder and harder to work on the Tbird myself and i'm looking at the likelihood that i will be nearly living on cat food in the not too distant future. So i also won't be able to afford the bird's 6k tire intervals and expensive maintenance that i can't do myself but could on a bonnie. Maybe i would go with it anyways, i dunno. Then again if i can pull it off i'd rather keep the bird if possible. Time will tell.

Oh, and i also don't like the paint scheme on the ST, so i'm interested to see what coming years will bring. The right scheme would greatly enhance my desire for it.

I was actually expecting them to use the same motor as the Storm for a bike like this but it does seem they had other ideas on it.

I think they are trying to retain the bonneville allure. If they put the Tbird engine in it i don't think the traditionalists would like it. It would be heavy and huge compared to a bonneville. They likely figured by making a new 1200 traditional looking engine they could keep the size and weight down to where it would appeal to traditionalists who are willing to sacrifice a bit of tradition for power and the reliability longevity and performance afforded by water cooling. In other words, it's not too far removed from the traditional bike while gaining a lot of advantages. Lets face it, the bonneville like is thier best selling bike, at least over here. I see 50 or 100 of them for every triumph sport bike and probably 1000 of them for every speedmaster or Tbird. I think your idea would be great for some people but i think it would be too specialized to be successful. But the new line only compromises the traditional look and size by a tiny bit while delivering amazing performance and MPG compared to the old models. I think they will be a huge success. I just wish they'd have put that 1200 in the street twin.

You have a very good point and I suppose it would take it into a new category completely if it did have the big motor in it. I still really like it and wonder if they have at least upgraded the seat from the plank seat of the Bonnie.

You mean the street twin seat? looks different doesn't it? I like the look a lot as that type goes. I think when one shows up at my dealer i will ask for a test ride just for the hell of it. You never know, it could be a fantastic bike.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom