2022 TIGER 660

SIR LOIN

Local time
Today, 15:52
My Ride
73 TRIUMPH T100R DAYTONA
I AM INTERESTED IN PURCHASING THIS BIKE. MY LOCAL DEALER HAS 3 ON THE FLOOR THAT HAVE BEEN SITTING THERE FOR 2 MONTHS. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS BIKE? ALSO, IS THE BIKE MADE IN INDIA OR THAILAND? SALES GUY SAID THAILAND BUT I HAVE READ INDIA.

"
Bloor’s original idea was to have parts made in Thailand and then shipped to the production line in Hinckley. Thailand has become the mecca for motorcycle manufacturing in Southeast Asia thanks to its strategic location and corporate tax breaks. There are at least 12 factories in the country which includes plants owned by Ducati, BMW and Harley Davidson. The decision of what to build where comes partly from logistics- if the majority of the market is Europe or US based, it makes more sense to manufacture in the UK, if the volume is elsewhere, it might make more sense to build it in Thailand.

Every single vehicle manufacturer is buying components from all over the world. If a motorcycle manufacturer said I’m going to source and manufacture 100% from my home country, they’d never compete. The difference between what Triumph is doing in Thailand is that instead of saying they’ll buy crankcases or engines from someone in China, they’ve acknowledged that they need to have a lower cost manufacturing process, and they’re doing it with their own people, keeping control of the engineering and quality.....apart from the high-end Triumph Factory Custom (TFC) models, only the Speed Triple and Tiger 1200 motorbikes were still made in England.

THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION GENTLEMEN.

I'M ASSUMING NOBODY HAS ANY FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE WITH THIS BIKE YET?

THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION GENTLEMEN.

I'M ASSUMING NOBODY HAS ANY FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE WITH THIS BIKE YET?
It appears that at this point, you are in virgin territory.

A friend has just taken delivery of one and is extremely pleased with it. With his encyclopaedic knowledge of all things Triumph I know he would have thoroughly researched his intended purchase. If you’ve ever been on a Hinkley factory tour it could well have been him that conducted the tour.

He went with the blue option, including colour matched luggage and it looks a treat.

A friend has just taken delivery of one and is extremely pleased with it. With his encyclopaedic knowledge of all things Triumph I know he would have thoroughly researched his intended purchase. If you’ve ever been on a Hinkley factory tour it could well have been him that conducted the tour.

He went with the blue option, including colour matched luggage and it looks a treat.
I WILL BE PURCHASING ONE ONCE I GET MY '73 DAYTONA SQUARED AWAY. THE TRIPLE MOTOR HAS BEEN AROUND A WHILE AND THE REVIEWS I HAVE READ AND THE YOUTUBE VIDEOS I HAVE SEEN SEEM TO SPEAK :y150: HIGHLY OF THE BIKE.

ANY CHANCE OF YOUR FRIEND POSTING HIS THOUGHTS OF THE BIKE ON THIS FORUM?

I WILL BE PURCHASING ONE ONCE I GET MY '73 DAYTONA SQUARED AWAY. THE TRIPLE MOTOR HAS BEEN AROUND A WHILE AND THE REVIEWS I HAVE READ AND THE YOUTUBE VIDEOS I HAVE SEEN SEEM TO SPEAK :y150: HIGHLY OF THE BIKE.

ANY CHANCE OF YOUR FRIEND POSTING HIS THOUGHTS OF THE BIKE ON THIS FORUM?
I will ask. The three cylinder engine has indeed been around for a while so by now it’s good enough for Moto GP2. For the last twenty years I have ridden my much loved Ducati.

91E1C7DA-54DE-41DB-861B-78971306B83F.jpeg

But I knew the time would come when a more relaxed riding style would be desirable plus being able to flat foot with both feet and less weight would be good.

So late last year I bought this. A Street Triple R (LRH).

C86EBE45-314C-4A69-9600-31E43BE3B906.jpeg

The engine, smaller than the Ducati delivers the same torque and some 30 more bhp. The power delivery is amazing in its flexibility rather than all top end and buzzy. Engine braking is surprisingly good but not as good as the Ducati. The bike is so much easier to ride and with the shift assist, which I think is optional on the Tiger, you really only need to touch the clutch when pulling away or coming to a stop. And, of course, you have all the electronic trickery like abs, traction control and rider modes etc, etc.

However, this won’t stop me riding the Ducati, just not as often now. In the next few weeks I’m off with two of my sons to Wales on our bikes for a long weekend and I will be riding the Triumph.

I will ask. The three cylinder engine has indeed been around for a while so by now it’s good enough for Moto GP2. For the last twenty years I have ridden my much loved Ducati.

View attachment 52734

But I knew the time would come when a more relaxed riding style would be desirable plus being able to flat foot with both feet and less weight would be good.

So late last year I bought this. A Street Triple R (LRH).

View attachment 52735

The engine, smaller than the Ducati delivers the same torque and some 30 more bhp. The power delivery is amazing in its flexibility rather than all top end and buzzy. Engine braking is surprisingly good but not as good as the Ducati. The bike is so much easier to ride and with the shift assist, which I think is optional on the Tiger, you really only need to touch the clutch when pulling away or coming to a stop. And, of course, you have all the electronic trickery like abs, traction control and rider modes etc, etc.

However, this won’t stop me riding the Ducati, just not as often now. In the next few weeks I’m off with two of my sons to Wales on our bikes for a long weekend and I will be riding the Triumph.
BOTH ARE ABSOLUTE GEMS. ENJOY THE RIDE TO WALES AND LET US KNOW HOW IT WENT.

I purchased my Tiger 660 three months ago and have now completed 5,000km.
I traded my 1200GS as I wanted something lighter and easier to handle. The spares cost was crippling on my GS and with 85k on the clock a lot was about to happen! (drive shaft, lcd clock going dark etc.)
I am loving the bike so far in every respect - bar one. The windscreen is not much use at anything over 110 km/hr. I am 5ft 10 and the turbulence around my helmet on highway pulls is not comfortable. Now I ride with the screen lowered and it feels more like a naked bike and I will wait for the aftermarket to develop.
The bike is very different from my expectations, the low gear ratios, which surprised me at first, are overcome by a highly flexible engine with a flat torque curve that comes in early.
I often find I have set off in 3rd gear and can potter about town in 5th or 6th gear. I am constantly surprised to find how fast the bike is compared to my expectations. The quick shifter is excellent and the throttle and gear change are very smooth.
I don't need all the electronic gizmos I had on my GS. I played with them when I first got the bike, but often forgot to use them later on. I love the simple (and well priced!) controls this bike has.
Rear brake is one of the best I have used, front not so great so I will be looking at better pads soon.
I live in Southern Thailand so engine heat is important as I often ride in temps above 40 C (104 F). Not a problem so far, warm, but not too bad.
Boxes are good and fit a full face in the side boxes and two in the top box. Side boxes are fiddly to get on and need checking to make sure they are secured properly.
Quickshifter (up and down) is great.
No centre stand (and no ability to retrofit one) makes a paddock stand a must.

If requested I will give a further update when I clear the first service.

THANKS FOR THE IN DEPTH REVIEW FARANG PAUL. I'M LOOKING AT BUYING ONE IN THE NEXT MONTH OR TWO SO YOUR REVIEW IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

PLEASE POST ANY OTHER UPDATES ON THE BIKE AS I PLAN ON DOING A LOT OF TWO UP TOURING ON IT.

Hello all. Noob here so I can't create a new thread but I joined because I traded in my beloved Honda CBR500r last month and bought a '22 Tiger Sport 660. I'm very happy with my purchase. It's my first Triumph and so far I'm loving it.

Upgraded primarily so that I could take my bike on longer rides more comfortably. As I've been using it a bit, I'm now thinking I might even sell our 2nd car and become a 1 bike / 1 car household. My question for you all has to do with luggage.

My bike came with the topcase mount (but no topcase). So I can either buy a topcase or the panniers. I'm looking for the best option for grocery shopping, which I've done in the past with a backpack only. If I'm going to spend some money on either the panniers or the topcase, which would you suggest? Personally I don't like the look of the topcase as much, but I also want to be able to continue to lane split (here in California). What would you do in my shoes?

Much appreciated.

Panniers, top cases look like crop and give a high center of gravity.

BOTH ARE ABSOLUTE GEMS. ENJOY THE RIDE TO WALES AND LET US KNOW HOW IT WENT.
Apologies, I’ve only just realised that I didn’t respond Yes the Wales trip went great. The weather was, if anything, too hot, Thursday to Monday we covered nearly 700 miles. The new bike was excellent. From where we live we stuck to the A5 which took us to within 20 miles of the hotel. Not only did this mean that we didn’t use the motorways it also allowed us to make our first pit stop on the way the café and museum at the Triumph HQ at Hinkley. Below you will see my Street Triple and my youngest son’s Thruxton at the Hinkley HQ and the whole group. Excellent hotel which even had a large lockup garage to park our bikes in overnight. 2410C89F-53C6-4CCD-8B11-4C0CEC335966.jpeg5684A055-1B6C-43D0-935E-718FCBA01B31.jpeg

Attachments

• B1353913-C533-4F15-9801-2AB7E67B80A0.jpeg
    B1353913-C533-4F15-9801-2AB7E67B80A0.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 1
Frankienap, interesting problem on the storage and lane splitting. I don’t and can’t legally do it in Texas, but I still occasionally see it. I guess if your handlebars and mirrors can make it through any side pannier should as long as they don’t extend beyond your mirrors.

Frankienap, interesting problem on the storage and lane splitting. I don’t and can’t legally do it in Texas, but I still occasionally see it. I guess if your handlebars and mirrors can make it through any side pannier should as long as they don’t extend beyond your mirrors.
Unless you have bar end mirrors the widest part of your bike will be your handlebars. I would expect any rigid panniers to extend beyond bar end mirrors.

You guys don’t have it easy having to remember what is and what is not allowed when you ride. Are there still States where helmets are not mandatory?

Unless you have bar end mirrors the widest part of your bike will be your handlebars. I would expect any rigid panniers to extend beyond bar end mirrors.

You guys don’t have it easy having to remember what is and what is not allowed when you ride. Are there still States where helmets are not mandatory?
Texas used to have mandatory when I got my license circa 2010 time. It was removed as a requirement and I do see some riders without helmets, but I see more with. I ride with a helmet always.
Measure what you have I guess on those panniers. I’ve seen some that appear thin, the soft types, but never really looked to see how it aligns that closely. They appeared less than the end mirror, but I’ll defer to more knowledgeable comments. I’ve thought about some panniers for my Thruxton, but luckily clearance issues in traffic was not something I had thought that important. I guess it is in some cases. OP good luck and measure twice! LoL.

Texas used to have mandatory when I got my license circa 2010 time. It was removed as a requirement and I do see some riders without helmets, but I see more with. I ride with a helmet always.
Measure what you have I guess on those panniers. I’ve seen some that appear thin, the soft types, but never really looked to see how it aligns that closely. They appeared less than the end mirror, but I’ll defer to more knowledgeable comments. I’ve thought about some panniers for my Thruxton, but luckily clearance issues in traffic was not something I had thought that important. I guess it is in some cases. OP good luck and measure twice! LoL.
My youngest lad and I were in a dealers on Tuesday and there was a Triumph Explorer in there with the all ally panniers and top box, it looked enormous.

If you look closely at the photo of our bikes at the Triumph HQ you will see that my lad’s Thruxton has a pair of Triumph panniers on. His machine is a 2012 model but these panniers were for a later model and fitted a treat. I can certainly recommend them and if you are interested I will lookout a better photo.

My youngest lad and I were in a dealers on Tuesday and there was a Triumph Explorer in there with the all ally panniers and top box, it looked enormous.

If you look closely at the photo of our bikes at the Triumph HQ you will see that my lad’s Thruxton has a pair of Triumph panniers on. His machine is a 2012 model but these panniers were for a later model and fitted a treat. I can certainly recommend them and if you are interested I will lookout a better photo.
Wouldn’t hurt to have a better picture for future reference. I have bar end mirrors on mine now as well. Would be nice to have a frontal or rear view. Thanks.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom