Local time
Today, 06:35
First Name
gary
My Ride
t140
engine gets hot then cuts out

What year?

All original, or what is non-original on/in the engine?

Could be vapor lock, bad coil, bad thermal connection somewhere in the electrical, or other issue(s)

Did you recently do any work to the bike, or change anything?

What year?

All original, or what is non-original on/in the engine?

Could be vapor lock, bad coil, bad thermal connection somewhere in the electrical, or other issue(s)

Did you recently do any work to the bike, or change anything?
it's a 59 unit running a T100 head, bike has been standing for about 10 yrs so i decided to get her going again. Was running ok when she was put away, had new stem oil seals put in, fitted electronic ignition , new plugs, new coil just runs rough for about 10 minutes then dies, when you kick it over it just coughs a little but refuses to start carb is full of fuel. I suspect coil or new ignition

it's a 59 unit running a T100 head, bike has been standing for about 10 yrs so i decided to get her going again. Was running ok when she was put away, had new stem oil seals put in, fitted electronic ignition , new plugs, new coil just runs rough for about 10 minutes then dies, when you kick it over it just coughs a little but refuses to start carb is full of fuel. I suspect coil or new ignition

Whenever you do multiple changes, it can be much harder to figure out WHICH of the changes is causing the problems...

May be the wrong impedance coil (just a guess)

If you have restrictor plugs and restrictor caps, that will cause problems. One or the other, not both!

Thanks for your help, i will start with putting the original coil back on, probally next week, wil let you know

Thanx for updating us, some people were holding their breath!

Hi changed the coil and it seems to have done the trick many thanks. Only thing now it is running a bit rich ,would I be right in if I lower the needle jet by a notch this should improve the situation

Better a little rich than too lean.

Better a little rich than too lean.
I agree. If it's only "a bit rich" I wouldn't worry about it. If it's excessively rich then make some changes in jets or needle position.

It is excessively rich will take the carb down to Kempton auto next saturday and get it checked out not sure if i have the right needle or jets in it bought the bike over 35yrs ago as a box of bits did use to ride it but its never been right

That sounds like a good idea. The carb needs to be right or it will give you fits in starting and running.
In fact, if the carb isn't worn, and it was me, I would change the needle and all the jets and start fresh.
What's in there now may be well past its best.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good idea. The carb needs to be right or it will give you fits in starting and running.
In fact, if the carb isn't worn, and it was me, I would change the needle and all the jets and start fresh.
What's in there now may be well past its best.
That is sound advice.

It is excessively rich will take the carb down to Kempton auto next saturday and get it checked out not sure if i have the right needle or jets in it bought the bike over 35yrs ago as a box of bits did use to ride it but its never been right
If its worn , then stainless steel slide modifications will work.
But there just comes a time for a new Amal.
Its the material they were made from , causes wear and tolerànce issues.
New ones are made a lot better now.
Failing that , Sudco minkuni conversion are a good solution.

If its worn , then stainless steel slide modifications will work.
But there just comes a time for a new Amal.
Its the material they were made from , causes wear and tolerànce issues.
New ones are made a lot better now.
Failing that , Sudco minkuni conversion are a good solution.
That would have been my second piece of advice - get a new one that's now made of better and more compatible materials.
A new Amal will work well and is easy to tune. Mikuni's are very good once they are tuned, but that can often take some doing.

That would have been my second piece of advice - get a new one that's now made of better and more compatible materials.
A new Amal will work well and is easy to tune. Mikuni's are very good once they are tuned, but that can often take some doing.
Its good when Rocky gives me a tick on feedback !

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom