saig55

Premium Member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:29
First Name
Thomas
My Ride
1966 Triumph 500
I figured I would just start a new thread.
The worst oil leak is out of the exhaust side rocker spindle. While the bike is idling oil is seeping past the spindle. Quick fix or take the rocker box off?

An older gentleman told me to silicone a nickel over it to stop it. Yes, he has rode Triumphs he entire life, he’s 77. Lol

Interesting idea. LoL. I’d go for a more permanent fix and see what else is going on under the cover.

you mean the end without the acorn nut, correct?

theres an O ring on the spindle that has deteriorated. to replace it you have to remove th erocker box, tap out the rocker spinder, put a new O ring back on, and then carefully slip th ewhole thing back together without tearing the O ring.

sometimes cleaning the outside and smearing a bit of silicone solves the problem for a long time. you should probably try to find an old shilling instead of a nickel to keep it original if you add a coin.

here it is. number 23

V39wiDTl.png

There is a special internally conical tool that you slip over the shaft, which compresses the o-ring as you push it in (lightly oiled).

Speedrattle…thanks for the tip…I will temporarily try the silicone. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a shilling…lol
Grandpaul…. Where do you rent that “special tool”? If push comes to shove the old man I mentioned earlier may have one. He’s about 2-1/2 hrs away though.
Thanks to all for the info. It’s been an interesting project so far.

clear silicone is less obvious than the orange stuff. i usually use orange, and so everybody knows what a lazy ass i am

Where do you rent that “special tool”? If push comes to shove the old man I mentioned earlier may have one. He’s about 2-1/2 hrs away though.
It's a "jig" with a special shape and protrusions that fit very precisely over a correctly-indexed gear. If it doesn't fit, re-align.

I recognize the e-bay seller's name, he's been around a long time.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom