saftie

Local time
Today, 00:58
First Name
Gabor
My Ride
yamaha xsr900, 94 kawasaki zx600
Hi,

my name is Gabor and i am new to this forum, I am also new to the Triumph brand.

I have a 95 Thunderbird 900 which i took over non-running.
this morning i pulled the carbs. When i opened the carb bowls, the following fell out of 2 bowls (or was just sitting at the bottom). Nothing from the third carb.

i am a bit confused of what this part is. looking at parts diagrams, i cant seem to identify it.

your help is much appreciated.

G

That's a mystery to me too.
I hope somebody has an answer.

Maybe something that should be underneath the main jet? No idea.

Is it a solid object or does it have any holes or threading?
That band/ring around the narrower end appears that it was fitted into something. (?)
I have never been inside any of those carbs so am at a total loss.
I enjoy a mystery so I hope somebody has an answer.

Yes, hole end to end.

Don't see where it could slide into though.

Well, put the carbs back on bike and tried to fire her up with starter fluid. Cranks but wouldnt fire. So if ir doesn't do anything with starter fluid, I'm gonna table the possible fuel issue for now. Neutral light is on.
Are there any other safety switches on those bikes?
I know the PO replaced the crankshaft position wires, not sure what else. I assume if this is off it wouldn't fire?
Any other switches to look at, or even pull clutch / brake to start?
I still need to get a manual, sorry.

Engine is free, BTW.

Are you sure that little piece is not part of one of the jets?

No, not sure. That's why I'm posting. :)
In all other carburetors I have work on in the past, I have not come across anything like this.

If it is part of one of the jets, my guess is that someone was in the carbs before and didn't know where they came from and just put them into the bowl. I don't think parts just detach themselves on their own.

That would be my suspicion, also.

Right, so I guess I will still need to find a good shop manual. The one I found online is not for the bike.

Check this forum thread for info about obtaining shop manuals: Shop Manuals.

Just managed to start the bike.
Hooked up a freshly charged Harley battery (450cca) and used starter fluid.
She idled by herself for a minute, so she does get fuel.

Second start needed starter fluid again to fire her up. But it's a start and at least I know she runs.
Possible those small carb things do belong somewhere. Mystery continues, but I'll stop by a triumph shop tomorrow and ask them.

View: https://youtu.be/jwdEC-slOhU

This guy puts something into the well before putting a jet back in. Possible that's it. I'll disassemble the carbs in morning and check.

I think you may have found something TUP

I'll stop at the shop today and just ask. This way I don't put parts where they don't belong and end up damaging stuff.

I'll report back.

Glad to hear that you got her started. That;s a big plus. Please do let us know what you find. I have been into the carbs on Hinckley Bonnie's having rejetted three different bikes. That was 15 years ago so I don't remember the carb details.

Went to that shop, loved it. The guys in there must be 70 and up.
Anyway, he opened the carb and had a look because he had never seen parts like this before. In the end, we both basically came to the agreement that these parts don't belong into the carb.
He also gave me some additional pointers about the bike having a difficult time starting.

Nice guy, I'll def stop by there again and drop off some bagels or something as thank you for his time.

This has been a fascinating thread to follow.
The fact that the bike started and would idle led me to believe that no parts were missing.
Glad you got acquainted with a cool guy at the shop. A token of appreciation the next time you pass by goes a long way TUP
The next question is, what in h** is that and how did it get in there BGRIN
Never mind, lets drop it BGRIN

View: https://youtu.be/jwdEC-slOhU

This guy puts something into the well before putting a jet back in. Possible that's it. I'll disassemble the carbs in morning and check.
At 0:43 and 1:12, he puts in two small items that look like seats for what you call the jets. Though they look a little different from your mysterious part, they are similar in size and shape, and, looking at the parts laid out on the table, they look like they have a similar hole down the middle.

Well, bike idles fine (once I get it to start), several people with carb rebuild experience have never seen this before, so I am closing this case as "we will never know".

Will go over the carbs again and clean one or two more things and hopefully get it to start right away without cranking forever and having to give throttle.

Have another week to get this done. Then, I finally have all parts together for a complete engine rebuild that I am currently doing on one of my other bikes.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom