95 Thunderbird Fork Tubes

Catchalot

Local time
Today, 01:34
First Name
Tom
My Ride
Bmw r1100rt
Hi everyone, I’m still working on my newly acquired 95 thunderbird with 169 miles on it ! Sat since then . Thanks to this forums advice I’m doing everything needed to get it back running again! My question is what is the story on the front fork tubes ? They look like brushed aluminum but they have spots from sitting that don’t come off ! Are they painted ? I’m trying to clean the whole bike up. The mile surface pitting on most of the chrome is cleaning up nicely. Wondering what to do with front forks ?? Thanks for any advice. I’m gonna try to post a pic of them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 9
Looks like perhaps the forks are covered in a clear coating which has gotten rubbed off by something .

Looks like perhaps the forks are covered in a clear coating which has gotten rubbed off by something .
Thanks for responding, I’ve tried to remove spots , using brass brush & wd40, scouring pad, I even tried wire wheel on drill , very lightly in one spot! Turns a dark grey ! I don’t get it

Thanks for responding, I’ve tried to remove spots , using brass brush & wd40, scouring pad, I even tried wire wheel on drill , very lightly in one spot! Turns a dark grey ! I don’t get it
Mine are the same and the only way to remove the blemish is to disassemble the fork tubes take some Aircraft Paint Stripper (be careful and only do with rubber gloves and in a well ventilated area) and remove the clear powder coating. I look at mine apart and thought about it, rebuilt the forks, reassembled and put rubber fork gaiters on and now consider the forks that have warrior war wounds as the TBird is 25 years old! I consider it original patina!

I had exactly the same issue. I had to replace the fork seals so took the opportunity to sand down the exterior, removing the clear coat and sanding out the corrosion marks. I then reapplied a spray on clear coat. not quite as good as the factory but very close.

I had exactly the same issue. I had to replace the fork seals so took the opportunity to sand down the exterior, removing the clear coat and sanding out the corrosion marks. I then reapplied a spray on clear coat. not quite as good as the factory but very close.
Yes I did the same on mine

They are powder coated with a clear plastic. "Eastwood" sells a good chemical powdercoat remover. MUCH less work than sanding off. Dismantle- chem strip- sand out scratches/nicks- buff/polish then re-coat if desired. I bought a garage sale electric stove/oven for $20 and a home powdercoat kit from Eastwood (about $150) Do anything that fits in oven- works great! Powder is cheaper than paint, but prep is key!

I used this stuff to remove the lacquer 51pxFLRpQ.jpg
Then 4 days of polishing the legs with Auto solve, worth the aching fingers at the end of it all.
DSC00079.jpgIMG_3840-001.jpgIMG_3841-003.jpg

What front caliper are you using? Is this the Honda/Nissin caliper swap?
They're a UK company. I dare say will export to the US. The brakes are brilliant, and well worth the money. Miles better than the original. You don not have to change the master cylinder as the calliper is calibrated to the master cylinder.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom