97 Tiger Keihin Carbs

Jirwin

Local time
Today, 00:23
First Name
Jeff
My Ride
1997 Triumph Tiger & 2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
So who knows anything about the Keihin carbs? When I removed them from the bike to clean I broke one of the “t-vent” pieces. There are two on it and one fuel line attachment piece. I checked on line and found one out of jolly England. It came in the mail and it is not the part, it is hard plastic I need a rubber one. I guess my first question would be if this is supposed to be the OEM part then why isn’t it? My second question is what can I do to just rig it, tape a hose on it for the vent, is it even necessary? Any and all help is appreciated.

Hi there can you take a few pics of the carb and the broken peace and what they sent you .

Hi there can you take a few pics of the carb and the broken peace and what they sent you .

Will do when I get chance, thanks.

This is where the broken piece is supposed to go, between the two carbs, attaches and has a tube off of it for a vent, a “T”.
D7AEB968-DB5F-4B57-93EF-A0C7AF136F96.jpeg

Will do when I get chance, thanks.

Here is the photo of the “vent T piece” between carb 1 and 2. It is a pliable rubber, not hard plastic. 8EDC0415-AB0B-4B40-A328-5A15E5B7E6CD.jpeg

Here is the piece according to the schematics that “IS” the part needed. It is hard plastic, too long, and no way will ever fit. AA0EA891-5F3E-4042-921D-DACEC4D32321.jpeg

Ok i see the problem it is the wrong part but its not a disaster as they are only the over flow pipes for if the carbs get flooded or the bike ends up on its side.
you could put a peace of fuel hose and join them for now as the fuel will leave via the other T peace if it floods , this should keep you going till you can get the right part .

Ok i see the problem it is the wrong part but its not a disaster as they are only the over flow pipes for if the carbs get flooded or the bike ends up on its side.
you could put a peace of fuel hose and join them for now as the fuel will leave via the other T peace if it floods , this should keep you going till you can get the right part .

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing or just try crafting my own. This is my first more modern motorcycle I have tried any mechanics on and wanted someone else with knowledge to give that second opinion. You are aces, ever around Northern Ohio, stop on by for some BBQ.

Your Kiehins seem to be Mikuni's do they not? Fuel 1240033T03 Vent 1240025T03

At witts end and the limit of my mechanical ability. Carbs are back together (cleaned them by soaking in carb cleaner and blowing them dry), did not disassemble and clean, But they are back on the bike without airbox in place. Won’t start, backfires and wants to start, using starter fluid. Just keeps turning over for a second and won’t run. Any suggestions? Maybe I need to rebuild carbs completely?

They may need a rebuild or at least a thorough cleaning. Old gas may have turned to varnish and clogged things up.
All jets and orifices need to be clean as a whistle for them to work.

They may need a rebuild or at least a thorough cleaning. Old gas may have turned to varnish and clogged things up.
All jets and orifices need to be clean as a whistle for them to work.

So I can keep it running with starter fluid and it revs up but dies soon after the starter fluid stops. Does this sound like carbs need completely rebuilt?

I think you need to strip them down and clean them out propperly .... its not a hard job just need to do them one at a time , try this it should help and give you a good idea how to do it ..
View: https://youtu.be/dD3UWtLfzX4

I think you need to strip them down and clean them out propperly .... its not a hard job just need to do them one at a time , try this it should help and give you a good idea how to do it ..
View: https://youtu.be/dD3UWtLfzX4

Excellent, thanks, I will give it a watch... I really do appreciate the insight...

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom