R60Rider

Riding for 57 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 19:29
First Name
Martin
My Ride
2004 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
In 2004 I went shopping specifically for a TBS. A Triumph dealer in Maryland USA had a brand new "2004" sitting on the showroom floor which I ended up buying. As a service, the dealer had the vehicle titled, registered and plated as a 2004 in my name at the motor vehicle admin in Maryland. This week I was watching a YouTube vid on maintenance that cautioned the foam air cleaner element tended to disintegrate with age and mine had the original. Looking for the OEM part I discovered that Triumph only sells the entire filter air box, but K&N sells the filter element, part number TB-9095, separately. However the K&N site specifies that the element only fits the 1995 - 2003 TBS. But I thought they all had the same engine and air box even though they could come with two different flavors of carburetors.

Further research claimed that Triumph ceased production of the TBS in 2003. That really grabbed me, so with flashlight in hand and contorting my neck and body into positions never tried before, I was finally able to get a peak in between the headlight and windshield mounts to see the build plate mounted to the front of the steering head. And there it was to behold - Mfg. Date 10/03. So please tell me how a vehicle manufactured in 2003 can be sold, titled and registered as a 2004? And evidently all those other 2004s being sold or even road tested must be 2003 too. Seems to me that if I tried to make up paperwork showing a 2003 as a 2004 and sold it, I could be writing this from a jail cell right now. I await an interesting and knowledgeable reply.

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 42 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 18:29
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
2005 Triumph Tiger, British Racing Green--the fastest color
Hello! Ill take a stab at this ;)

If your paperwork says its a 2004 then its a 2004. ;) IF the Gubmnt sees it as a 2004 -- why argue? (no really DONT ARGUE)

Some models are "model year" but made late the prior year.....(if that makes sense)
sort of like ...............have you ever wondered how they are selling 2021 model Chevys in the fall of 2020 ??? it OBVIOUSLY wasnt made in 2021 or you couldnt buy it in Nov of 2020.......but its a 2021 model "on paper"

I cant really provide a knowledgeable response...... (or probably a helpful one) so instead Ill ask some questions..............

Are you selling the bike?
Does the mfct. date badge change the way the bike rides or functions?
if you do sell the bike do you think the buyer will do the neck contortions w/ flashlight to verify the bld. date prior to purchase ---or look at your official Maryland tag/title info and move on down the road?

I have a vintage 1970 LEs Paul Recording guitar ..... which I am MOST CERTAINLY NOT SELLING....... it was built in 1970 -- I have confirmed this fact with Gruhn Guitars (actually George Gruhn himself who literally wrote the BOOK on identifying old Gibsons and Fenders-- damn nice fella by the way) and even though GIBSON DID NOT RELEASE the Les Paul Recording Guitar until 1971 ........the one in my possession was built in and existed in 1970 -- and the potentiometers are actually Mfct. stamped1969 models!!! (whcih means they SAT IN A PARTS BIN A YEAR before being used!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH

So goes the manufacturing process.............

hope this was helpful ....or at least entertaining ----

sikatri

Local time
Yesterday, 18:29
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
My 2005 Thruxton was manufactured in 2004. It’s a model year thing as keystiger noted. I suspect that earlier year part will work.

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
1996 Thunderbird, 1975(ish) Norton Commando
Depends on the State, too. Many are pretty lax on motorcycles. Some will register it as the year it is SOLD! I have an Aprilia, build date March, 2003 that Michigan has registered as a 2004. Bought it in June 2004

Tpabayflyer

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
My Ride
VRR1200F
Yup, quite normal for the next model year of a vehicle to be introduced summer/fall of the previous year......

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom