brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Today, 12:43
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
16 thruxton r. 2011 tiger 800
Hi guys , been to busy to keep in touch but having an ABS issue with the 16 R model so making time to beg for your help . After a mile or two or three after leaving the house the ABS , traction control and engine light appear . The service wrench has been flashing for some time but with dealer in another province and Covid restrictions that will have to wait . Abs sensors and wheel units look fine . Checked the three pin connector behind the shifter,looks good and pulling and shaking it doesn’t seem to trigger a reaction , my thought has been that hitting what I would consider a normal bump in the road is setting it off . Once in this situation ROAD is the only mode available, I can change modes when leaving my drive way . Any help gracefully accepted .

Attachments

• C5EB44C7-4D5D-42E4-9070-2107E1B2F396.jpeg
    C5EB44C7-4D5D-42E4-9070-2107E1B2F396.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 2

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 11:43
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Hi, Brooke and welcome back. Do you have TuneECU where you can check the codes? Please let us know what you find.

brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Thanks for your reply Carl . Don’t have tune ECU .

Qship

Riding for 40 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
You can venture off the sand dune now that the "Atlantic bubble" has been created so why not go over to Motoplex and get the codes read? Could be something as simple as a wheel speed sensor gone bad. That sends the signals for ABS and traction control so that would be my first guess.

brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Seriously thinking about Tuneecu or Dealer tool . It started going into TC mode yesterday so changed my attention to the front sensor . Sure enough the front sensor is much farther away from the signalling ring on front compared to the back . .there is a small washer between the sensor and the caliber , I think , keeping the the sensor at least an eighth of an inch away from the ring ??? Is it common to use this method as an adjustment? The rear has no such washer and runs very close to ring . Tiger has no washers and has been trouble free for eight years ...

brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Took off the front wheel and found nothing amiss so fabbed a shim to adjust the clearance at the speed sensor . Got it to a credit card thickness ,same as the rear and others I have looked at . ECU was not impressed, a mile or so down the road lites are on again . Tried to find the dealer tool Website, no luck , any one know the address. Thanks .

brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
At last success !

After a couple of months of getting my golf game back on track , I finally ordered the Dealer Tool . Luckily my son showed up with the kids one day and installed the program in the old H/P which I never use , so was good to put it into service . Hooked things up and reset the oil change / maintenance wrench icon to 9 k KM from the preset 10 k . Checked for default codes and found two , one related to speed sensors and one regarding ABS . Cleared both of those and went for a ride .
A light drizzle but there’s brightness to the east so off I go in jeans and the old Joe Rocket , which I believed was water resistant . The wrench icon is gone so I know I’m on the right track despite the weather but a couple of minutes from home the tc and abs warning lights come on as before, not good and I’m getting wet . Gone a couple of more miles and here’s a good place to turn and head back to the homestead , my belly is wet and cold ... Just for fun I pulled over , shut it off for a few seconds to delete the warning icons again and started for home . The road is quite wet now and I’m given er to see if I can set off the warning lights but they stay off . A few miles of trying to spin it up and I’m home , no lights !
It was dry yesterday so after golf and taking Baby Girl to hockey practice I did a 15 km jaunt , no issues . Obviously the front speed sensor being to far from the ring was the issue . What next ...

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 11:43
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Congrats on solving the problem. TUP

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 28 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
It's always good to hear a success story TUP

brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Thanks Carl
Forgot to mention that Dealer Tool seemed very easy to work with not that I had any issues . Also the cost of the product was probably half what it would have cost taking it to the Triumph dealer and HOPEFULLY getting the results I got . Now I will get the Tiger registered , delete the service wrench and check the throttle balance ..

brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Thanks Rocky ...did you get to the Gentleman’s Ride this year ?

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 28 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Thanks Rocky ...did you get to the Gentleman’s Ride this year ?
No, it was cancelled as were about 95% of our club rides and events this year.
That's why you haven't seen me posting anything about our usual rides and events. Most everyone was doing only solo riding.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom