Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 19:32
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Was out for over an hour last evening and it was perfect . What a relief , this started 2 years ago , I am no computer expert and a snowmobile wiring fumbler at best . Some day when I have way to much time on my hands I will tell you about my first official day as a motorcycle mechanic and being shown a two week old Bonneville with the cases split wide open . It was over a year before the customer got it back , I still see him at the gym every week , he never brings up the subject but that was the end of Triumph in Canada’s smallest province .
Yes it seems to be cured , probably 2 years since it occurred . All my surfing has hopefully paid off . The wiring chafing at the headstock issue is well documented on another Triumph Forum ,can’t believe it hasn’t been brought up on TT . A half hour and a couple of plastic ties is all it takes . If anyone has similar electronical issues , I’m here for them but will put more hours on it before signing a peace treaty .
Yes , thinking of the 850 sport . Have got a couple of starting negotiations prices but COVID , Afib Ablation , issues are muddying the water . It’s certainly all I need with all the betterment’s I wanted . Lighter , more grunt , better chassis , crazy brakes , great seat , even better fuel range , the only nit pick I might have is the weird crank shaft , but apparently it only buzzes over 80 mph .
With my most recent events I don’t require cruise control , 5 traction modes . I come from a motocross background . If the clutch cable snapped just before your race you reved it up in neutral and when the flag dropped kicked it into first gear . These new ones have sensors at the end of the foot pegs ?#?
Glad you got it sorted and whiteout major expense. TUP

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 20:32
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
16 thruxton r. 2011 tiger 800
Thanks Carl . Expense was on my mind when I discovered some wiring looms were being replaced under the 2 year warranty and the parts were just south of a grand with labor 8 or 10 hours . Hope all is well down your way . Brooke

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Just a note re: my problem . Was out for a couple of hundred km ride and a wonderful piece of lemon meringue pie on Wednesday . All is still good with the abs/tc issue so am closing the book on it .
Now on to the 84 CXE 650 . I siphoned the fuel out , removed the tank and emptied the rest . Squeezed fresh fuel into the carbs until they overflowed , hooked up the booster cables , full choke , pressed the button and it fired on the second revolution . No surprise, this is what it always does even after 5 years , its quiet as a mouse and idles smoothly at 700 rpm . Will have to get it washed up and ready for it’s next owner
No room here to start a collection .

Attachments

• 5B3271B6-86FB-4049-8EF8-AEC9D89306C3.jpeg
    5B3271B6-86FB-4049-8EF8-AEC9D89306C3.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 3

Qship

Riding for 41 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Just a note re: my problem . Was out for a couple of hundred km ride and a wonderful piece of lemon meringue pie on Wednesday . All is still good with the abs/tc issue so am closing the book on it .
Now on to the 84 CXE 650 . I siphoned the fuel out , removed the tank and emptied the rest . Squeezed fresh fuel into the carbs until they overflowed , hooked up the booster cables , full choke , pressed the button and it fired on the second revolution . No surprise, this is what it always does even after 5 years , its quiet as a mouse and idles smoothly at 700 rpm . Will have to get it washed up and ready for it’s next owner
Nice older Honda. Always liked those V twins in those. Thought they were a unique bike like the Guzzis. Sold it did you, Brooke?

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
very nice. TUP

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Nice older Honda. Always liked those V twins in those. Thought they were a unique bike like the Guzzis. Sold it did you, Brooke?
No, not sold yet . Have to offer it to the son of one of my best friends first . He is an Afghanistan Vet and I loaned it to his father for an overnighter years back . They swapped rides for a bit and he wanted to buy it when they got back . He has a big KTM now but he gets first dibs , he needs to be kept busy , saw some nasty stuff over there …

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 63 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
No, not sold yet . Have to offer it to the son of one of my best friends first . He is an Afghanistan Vet and I loaned it to his father for an overnighter years back . They swapped rides for a bit and he wanted to buy it when they got back . He has a big KTM now but he gets first dibs , he needs to be kept busy , saw some nasty stuff over there …
Combat is always nasty! War is terrible.

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
Living with the real fear of losing your life every day you go to work is of course not good for your health . Losing a best friend while he is standing beside you would be an unbearable burden .
Had to take some new shots of the CX so here a couple

Attachments

• 7D21006D-FBF0-4ED4-B79F-8063BFCCC8FB.jpeg
    7D21006D-FBF0-4ED4-B79F-8063BFCCC8FB.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 4
  • F2EA76EA-2C58-4C82-8927-1464FE9ABCBC.jpeg
    F2EA76EA-2C58-4C82-8927-1464FE9ABCBC.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 4

Proftrevor

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Today, 12:32
First Name
Trevor
My Ride
2016 Street Twin
Only just seen this thread, a lot of agro & worry, mostly probably unnecessary. There actually was a factory recall out on the headstock/wiring issue, we even heard about it way down here in NZ. It was out well before covid I believe & even if you couldn't get to your dealer with the bike, perhaps a phone call to the service department & they might have told you about it?
Dealers here sorted them, no charges under Triumphs warranty, so I have no complaints.
Checking manufacturer's recall sites or your transport authority, ( ours publishes all recalls they are notified of), can potentially avoid a lot of frustration.
(BTW give me injectors over carbs any day, either working or not, if not probably a fuse or the pump, never had one flood unlike my bothers bandit sit out there frequently reeking of petrol when not being used, ( and yes the tap diaphragm has recently been replaced) or his Cavalcade that need 10 minutes cranking to suck fuel if it's not used for 5 days. I can leave the CS650 for 6 months & it fires instantly, as does the ST & my 2019 Moto Guzzi, no finessing or fiddling with chokes, fartass ing about with balancing & float valve adjustments et al.

I am of an age where I just want to get on & ride :).

For mechanical entertainment, when I feel the urge to get my hands dirty and smell the oil & grease, I have a small flock of British Seagull outboards with Villiers points ignition systems & Amal carburetors from the 40's to the 70's . Happy miles now anyway, I hope.

brooke

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
I have gotten a couple recall notifications for the bike on other issues but calling the dealer puts my blood pressure through the roof . Luckily a new dealer was appointed in Rocky’s area so will get down there and have the recalls done as soon as Covid rules allow . Of course Rocky will invite me to his place for a snack …

sikatri

Local time
Yesterday, 18:32
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Always good to tackle an issue yourself. Glad to hear it’s sorted out!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom