Adventurer Cam Cover Leak

banjoboy

Local time
Today, 06:02
First Name
dave
My Ride
triumph adventurer
Having successfully checked and shimmed my valve clearances all seemed well until my first ride out.Oil
sprayed out of one of the half moon shaped parts of the gasket.What suprises me is that the oil is under pressure when I was lead to believe that the gasket was only needed to contain a few splashes of oil from the cams.Ok I know that the gasket had not been sealed properly but on replacing the cover using sealant around the half moons it developed a new leak .This time it it was spraying oil from out of the plug lead.It would seem that the circular part of the gasket on the plug recess is leaking .What suprises me is that the oil is under pressure.Is this normal?I have ordered a new gasket but will give this one one more try .Anyone one else had this problem?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me in this area will see this and provide the answer.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me in this area will see this and provide the answer.
Thanx for your interest I have now found out more from my local mechanic who is very knowledgable.Seems as though the lubrication of the cams is done by pressurised oil spray and is def not done by oil just splashing down.So the cam cover needs the gasket fitting good and of course tightenening down as advised in the Haynes manual.I bought a new gasket and found that the cover fits easier if you remove the cylinder head top hose(GOOD TIP) however I came to grief tightening one of the bolts.Big trouble !! I stripped a thread in one of the boltholes.Need to have a Helicoil fitted today if poss and then hopefully finish the job.Its worth remembering that the bolts are screwed into Aluminium which is too easy to strip threads in.Incidentally I re shimmed my valves using the Triumph tool which works very well once you figure out which way it fits on the head.I could kick myself for doing all the technical bits ok then messing up with fitting the gasket.

Looks like your 95% to getting it all back to normal which is the main thing. Hindsight's a wonderful thing. Also as I've been away from the forum for over 2 weeks so,
:y151:andWELCOMEto the forum from Lincolnshire. I see you live in Cornwall, my wife was born in Sennen. Beautiful part of the country Cornwall ( You don't need me to tell you that mind )
Hope that you'll enjoy the forum, maybe when you get time you could post a picture or two of your adventurer

Thanx for the welcome and also the other members who did likewise.Good news so far with the bike .Cam cover firmly in place with no sign of leakage yet but need to do a proper trip this morning to confirm.Where I live is a bit remote from the Supermarket and shopping involves a 40 mile round trip this should be a good test.Also I had to bleed the coolant to do the job so I will have to watch out for temp warning light.Got it wrong before and was lucky not to cause real damage.Don't know bout you but do you have a problem withe the engine oil sightglass?I have a problem with finding level ground as I live in a hilly area plus I have no centre stand best I can do is prop some wood under the side stand and get it reasonably upright .Gotta be careful the bike don't fall over!Why don't they just use the old dipstick much easier than having to get .on your hands and knees just to see the sightglass level .I'll send you some pics later if all goes ok today .

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom