Advice needed

TTTrophy900

Local time
Today, 05:40
First Name
Tony
My Ride
Triumph 2001 Trophy
Greetings from Australia. I have a 2001 900 Trophy recently purchased with 45000km.It has a new battery fitted & been serviced.Purchased 2 weeks ago as a 2nd bike to play around with.Have only ridden it for short distances until today.Full tank of fuel & bike riding well until around 60km of travel in 5th gear the bike started to run very rough as though starved for fuel or misfiring & tacho was erratic.Changed down a gear & improved, then it cut out.Pulled over &
could not restart the bike & battery seemed to be low on charge as the horn had no volume & headlight dulling.Ended up bringing bike back in the work van.Not sure of problem, battery is less than a week old & first use.Could it be one of the coils or the pickup sensor coil.Or possibly the battery wasnt charging while riding.Could not be restarted even after cooling down as though it had a flat battery.Have not tested voltage etc as yet.Anybody else out there had similar issues or symptons.Cheers

Sounds to me that your battery was not charging while you were riding or the battery shorted out internally. I had the latter happen to me with my Tiger. Same symptoms.

Yes, as "rare" as it is, it is as CarlS said. The battery shorted out internally. Sorry, it is unlikely you can return it for your money back or a replacement, but don't let what I said stop you from trying.

Sounds to me that your battery was not charging while you were riding or the battery shorted out internally. I had the latter happen to me with my Tiger. Same symptoms.

Thanks I will check if it is charging when engine is running & confirm if battery has shorted.

Yes, as "rare" as it is, it is as CarlS said. The battery shorted out internally. Sorry, it is unlikely you can return it for your money back or a replacement, but don't let what I said stop you from trying.
See how I go.Will confirm if its not a charging problem

Be very careful when dealing with charging problems as attempting to start a T300 series bike with a marginal battery can damage the sprag clutch and thats not good.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom