Premium Member
Local time
Today, 11:28
First Name
Gary
My Ride
2023 Rocket 3GT
Riding Since
After discovering the access to the air filter after searching what would seem to be a normal location, I looking in the owners manual. The air filter is not mentioned. I got on YouTube and must say I am shocked, I'll let the shop change it when I get to 6K miles. In my 52 years of riding, and owning 15 bikes I have never seen such a moronic set-up. What should be a 5 minute job looks like almost an hour of work, 7 parts must be removed, what the... !

I agree 100%. You don't want to know the nightmare I had last year when I changed mine on the Tiger. A lot of the body panels all around the tank, the tank itself and all ensueing electrical, fuel and vacuum lines, AND then about 12-14 screws holding the cover on the air box.
Yep. Fun times.

It seems the manufacturers design this way to force many into the shop for service at $100 an hour.

I own a couple of Thruxton’s a 2016 and a TFC and changed out the stock air filters for K & N’s didn’t find it that difficult though not sure if it’s the same set up.

My last bike was a BMW RnineT Scrambler. I can assure you that air filter is even harder to change and the snorkel is like a shop vac cleaning up the roadway.

Seems like most manufacturers are trying not to be helpful in having owners do-it-yourself in matters of maintenance any more. But changing the air filter could not be simpler on the Street Twin. Undo 6 torx screws (ok that may be excessive) (you might need a short driver) and pull it right out, takes 10 minutes. You can get a Haynes manual hard copy or online version on the internet.

Seems like most manufacturers are trying not to be helpful in having owners do-it-yourself in matters of maintenance any more. But changing the air filter could not be simpler on the Street Twin. Undo 6 torx screws (ok that may be excessive) (you might need a short driver) and pull it right out, takes 10 minutes. You can get a Haynes manual hard copy or online version on the internet.
The video I watched indicated remove side panels, remove the hoses and snorkel. Then get at the box.

OK, I just went and removed my air filter element. It took 12 seconds to remove the side panels.
The bottom hose pulls off after loosening the clamp, then unscrewing the torx screws and pulling out the filter took total 8 minutes. Basic stuff. Remember not all online videos are made by folks who either have ever done the procedure before, or have a clue of what they're doing.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom