Riding for 27 Years
Local time
Today, 07:11
First Name
Don
My Ride
2012 Yamaha Raider
2005 Triumph America
I'm about to remove my carbs and thought I would ask for any advice from the experts. I have the haynes manual but hoping to avoid any of the same pitfalls those before me may have fallen into. Any advice to do/avoid? Example: the manual talks of removing two wires off of each carb (heater wires). I've looked at them and have concluded there is NO way I will remember where each one goes unless I put a piece of different colored tape on each wire and take a picture before removing said wires. Just looking for little ideas like that to make it go smoothly.

My only direct questions right now: The manual speaks of removing two bolts from the rear of the airbox and then pushing it backwards (which I know is NEVER as easy they say!).
1) I only see two bolts that seem to go through the airbox and rear fender, with nuts on the inside of the fender; are these the bolts in question?
2) Are there any other screws holding the airbox in place? On other bikes I've pulled and tugged to no avail only to figure out the manual I was using identified 5 screws but ignored the 6'th screw holding the airbox in place!

Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: Whoops! I should have clarified; I realize there are tube clamps holding the front plenums of the airbox onto the carbs, I meant are there other screws directly holding the airbox in place.

TSCHANNE

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
Today, 07:11
First Name
Tom
My Ride
2005 Speedmaster
DG

I just removed mine over the weekend in preparation of taking the engine out.
The manual is correct, the only screws are the ones going through the fender into the airbox. They're a little tough to get to and you have to access them by feel more so than sight. Once you get them out the airbox will drop down towards the rear tire and come away from the back side of the carbs enough to then pull the carbs away from the cylinder side and then slide them out of the left side of the frame/engine.

Tom

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 08:11
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Great info Tom TUP

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom