America dies in idle

Centexrider

Local time
Today, 06:09
First Name
Doug
My Ride
2008 Triumph America
I just purchased a 2008 Triumph America. It's a real beauty in pristine condition with only 11,000 miles, but she'd been sitting in a garage for over a year. The previous owner disclosed it would not idle, so there were no surprises. I felt (and still feel) that gummed up ethanol fuel is the most likely problem. I have drained the tank and replaced it with non ethanol fuel with an added additive called Seafoam. I also replaced the spark plugs as it was an easy task while the tank was off. I am able to start the engine only with full choke (whether or not it's cold or hot). Once the engine has sufficiently warmed up, I can "milk" the rpm up to I'd say over 2000, and I can shut the choke off and the engine responds well and I can ride somewhat normally. However, if I allow the engine rpm to go below the approximately 2000 rpm, the engine dies. If I have enough speed and in a higher gear, I can restart the engine with a clutch release, but if I come to a stop without keeping the rpm up, the engine simply dies and I have to once again do a full choke start and milk the throttle up (yes a real PIA). I live outside city limits and have some roads which allow me to ride somewhat unimpeded by traffic, so Plan A is to continue riding thusly for at least another 100 miles and hope the fuel system clears. To be frank, I'm not expecting Plan A to actually work. Plan B is to pull the carbs and clean them. My question is this: if I do have to pull the carbs, should I try to simply clean them or should I order (I don't live near a dealer) and install new needle jets? If so, which needle jets should I order? Logic (and experience) tells me that one of the needle jets is primary for idle; however, none are identified as such in the diagram I've seen online. Appreciate and/all advice.

I would order a full set of needle and jets as they are not that expensive. You might find that just by doing a good clean out of the carbs all will be ok.

I have heard that the Seafoam works wonders but does take a tank or two to really do it's trick.

There's still hope the Seafoam will work. Just got it inspected so that I can register it and legally get it out on the highway. As to needle jets being cheap, I see four of them on the diagram, one of them being $32 alone (the others about $10 apiece) so the total cost for both carbs would be over $120. If it comes to tearing the carbs down I'll probably inspect the needle jets before I order new ones. Either way I'll post the results. It might just take awhile. I do appreciate the advice though.

At only 11,000 miles there shouldn't be very much wear on the carbs. I think some of those tiny holes are clogged with gunk from stale gas.
I think they may have to be pulled apart and thoroughly cleaned.
If you have access to a sonic cleaner then the carb bodies need to be dunked for as long as the operator advises.
But Seafoam may do the trick.
Good luck.

I would also try a good cleaning being such a low milage bike.

Seafoam is usually a good cleaner. Hope that solves the problem. Sounds like low speed idle circuit plugged. I thought the Bonneville line switched over to fuel injection in the 2008 model year. Did that include the America?

Seafoam is usually a good cleaner. Hope that solves the problem. Sounds like low speed idle circuit plugged. I thought the Bonneville line switched over to fuel injection in the 2008 model year. Did that include the America?
Definitely carbs down there.

I just purchased a 2008 Triumph America. It's a real beauty in pristine condition with only 11,000 miles, but she'd been sitting in a garage for over a year. The previous owner disclosed it would not idle, so there were no surprises. I felt (and still feel) that gummed up ethanol fuel is the most likely problem. I have drained the tank and replaced it with non ethanol fuel with an added additive called Seafoam. I also replaced the spark plugs as it was an easy task while the tank was off. I am able to start the engine only with full choke (whether or not it's cold or hot). Once the engine has sufficiently warmed up, I can "milk" the rpm up to I'd say over 2000, and I can shut the choke off and the engine responds well and I can ride somewhat normally. However, if I allow the engine rpm to go below the approximately 2000 rpm, the engine dies. If I have enough speed and in a higher gear, I can restart the engine with a clutch release, but if I come to a stop without keeping the rpm up, the engine simply dies and I have to once again do a full choke start and milk the throttle up (yes a real PIA). I live outside city limits and have some roads which allow me to ride somewhat unimpeded by traffic, so Plan A is to continue riding thusly for at least another 100 miles and hope the fuel system clears. To be frank, I'm not expecting Plan A to actually work. Plan B is to pull the carbs and clean them. My question is this: if I do have to pull the carbs, should I try to simply clean them or should I order (I don't live near a dealer) and install new needle jets? If so, which needle jets should I order? Logic (and experience) tells me that one of the needle jets is primary for idle; however, none are identified as such in the diagram I've seen online. Appreciate and/all advice.
Update. Ran it about 50 miles today. It runs real strong, but still dies when throttle is closed to idle. I'm planning to teardown and clean the carbs tomorrow. It's something I haven't done in more than 40 years, but I see where Autozone sells a carb cleaning bucket with colander just like we used so many years ago. I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll have to order new needle jets, which will slow the project down significantly. Luckily the Beemer is running great right now, so I don't have to confine myself to a cage in the meantime.

I agree with above it will be gummed up carbs after sitting for a year and and as said its very unlikly yo be wear at 11000 miles , also just check your idle adjustment in case it has moved and good luck with the strip and clean .

Update: I used Dinka's instructions on Bonnevilleamerica.com (God bless him!) to remove the carbs. What I found was the pilot and other jet (the one recessed) were completely green with gunk. I apologize that I didn't take photos. Anyway, I soaked the jets in Perryman Chem-dip for about an hour. In the meantime, I shot Perryman carb cleaner throughout the carbs. I rinsed the jets in water (per Chem-dip instructions) then blew everything dry with high pressure air from my compressor. I reassembled everything, double checked my work, pulled the choke, turned the key, and hit the starter button. Vrooomm! Pushed the choke in and vroom vroom vroom! She's running like new! As we say in Texas "Yeehaw!"

Right on! Glad it was a relatively easy(cheap) fix.
Enjoy the ride.

Glad you are back on the road!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom