America Windscreen Issue

Brettweir

Local time
Today, 02:37
First Name
Brett
My Ride
04 Bonnie America
So, I have just picked up an 04 America. On the 88 mile ride home I noticed the the windscreen is probably the worst I have ever ridden with. It buffers and even rattles my helmet. The wind even sucks back around and blows my jacket forward. I will try to include a pic of the bike. So what does everyone use on the America that they are happy with? IMG_20160702_165639572.jpg

Hi Brett and welcome,
I have recently fitted a screen to my 07 America and like you were astounded by the buffeting,so bad I couldn't read the words on road signs.
The consensus seems to be that the turbulence comes up from below the screen over the top of the tank.Most seem to think the answer lays in fitting Memphis Shades lowers that fit on to the fork leg.
I have been unable to find anything similar in Europe and am yet to find them on sites in the US.
Should you take this route and find this successful please kindly post where you find them and if it works before I remove this expensive screen with frustration.
Good luck,
Brian.

I had a similar problem on my Bonnie with a Triumph summer screen - terrible buffeting.
I put up with it for a couple of years and then tossed it for a Givi fly screen.

Just washed the bike and pulled the windscreen. Bike is better without. Never had a bike that was better with no protection but I will ride like this for a while.

Thanks guys for your comments on screens for the America, I was thinking of buying one but I will now wait until someone is able to get some fork leg shields and tries them out, please post where you were able to get them, thanks. Ride safe."Tiger"Dave.

I have heard from a few people that putting a screen on the America and Speedmaster really puts the performance down drastically

Never experienced this before to the extent it does on the America,I am sorely tempted to cut the screen in half,but an expensive thing to do if it doesn't work,I really hoped to ride the America all year long,which could have been possible here but not so keen now!

I'm late to the party, but I'll throw my $.02 in anyway. +1 on lowers. Why do they work? Cruiser ergos put your legs out front where they deflect air up to your torso. This air is further deflected upwards when it hits your chest and finally continues up past your head where it meets the air stream coming over the top of the screen. The intersection of the two air streams creates turbulence. You don't believe me? Next time you're on the freeway, take your clutch hand off the bar and move it around in front of you're stomach. I guarantee you'll feel a strong updraft. If you raise your hand more you can feel when the updraft hits the surrounding air, somewhere in the vicinity of your noggin.

Unfortunately, lowers alone only take care of 70% or so of the turbulence. To get rid of the rest, you have to go with exotic solutions like madstad or the laminar lip or get a 2 surface shield. Or...workaround the problem by moving it away from your face. You do that by either putting up a HUGE shield that raises the area of turbulence completely above your head or you can cut off the top of your existing screen so the area of turbulence drops below your head. The latter is my preferred solution. Short shields work because it's way easier to deal with the residual buffeting if it hits your shoulders rather than your head. Besides, I don't know about you but I LIKE having wind in my face. It's a big reason why I drive a bike instead of a car. Finally, fork-mount windscreens just kill the performance and looks of the bike. Big windshields slow you down and are actively dangerous in a crosswind. Plus, they look dorky. So the smaller your shield is, the better.

I'm currently running my Speedmaster around naked, but eventually, I'll probably go with a dart flyscreen + memphis shades lowers.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to find the information HD has regarding windshield issues. HD spent a lot of time, money and effort to research the correct placement of windshields. I did find the information below which states pretty much what HD published years (decades) ago.
The information below can be found at Choosing The Correct Shield Height - Clearview Shields I also must say, I'm in no way connected with the linked website or Clearview Shields. I just posted this for additional information that may help others in setting their shields. . . YMMV

Choosing The Correct Shield Height
Welcome to FAQ Fridays. Our weekly blog designed to answer your everyday questions regarding everything about windshields and how to order them. Review our latest post!

Our Goal is to help our riders as much as we can with any questions they may have.

How can Clearview Shields help me choose the correct height?
Clearview Shields offers a variety of height options to customize the windshield to the rider. Our goal for every rider is to tailor fit the best windscreen to your personal Body Size, Motorcycle Modifications, Riding style, and Expectations.

A rider’s body size is the most influential part of determining the correct windshield height. In addition to how tall you are, your sitting height and seat compression will alter the height of windshield you need.

The next aspect to choosing your windshield height is your riding style. Riding style defines how you generally approach riding your motorcycle. Do you take an aggressive “leaned in” posture ready to take riding full throttle or is it a more relaxed “laid back” posture?

Another factor is the rider’s screen view. Much of what Clearview Shields is about is to establish a Clearview of the road ahead whether it’s through or over the windshield.

Measure 50ft of string or rope attached to wood or something else on the end.

Place the 50ft rope at the base of the front wheel of your motorcycle and stretch the string out to the full 50ft.

While seated on your bike, look out to the object you placed at 50′ (roughly 15.2 Meters). Can you easily see the reference you placed on the ground? Are you looking through the screen to see it? Remember, your choice is to either through or over your windshield. The picture above would be the ideal height to Look over. Even though the top edge is right in your field of view. When riding down the road you will look well past 50′ even at speeds under 40mph.
Looking Over the Shield:

With the Correct Height Shield using this method for everyday riding you will be able to look over the shield by 1”-2” so you have a Clearview of the road ahead.

Checking the Height:

1. On a level surface, place an object on the ground 50 feet in front of your bike
  2. Sit on your bike in your normal riding position
  3. Your line of sight should go just over the top edge of the shield while looking at the object
  4. If you do not have a level surface, the top edge of the shield should be at nose level

Looking just over the top edge of the shield at the ground 50 feet in front of your bike
Looking Through the Shield:

With the correct height shield, the top edge of the shield will be 2”-3” above your line of sight.

Checking the Height:

1. On a level surface, sit on your bike in your normal riding position
  2. While looking straight ahead, measure the height that will be 2”-3” up from your line of sight
  3. With this height, you will not have the top edge of the shield directly in your view

Looking through the shield 2”- 3” below the top edge of the shield
Regardless of your screen view, there are 2 ways to measure the height:

1. Length – Measuring from the top of the shield to the bottom along the shield surface. On some of our shields where we have changed the angle of the shield for improved performance, the length may not be the recommended measurement because the length may actually be longer and the top edge of the shield may be lower due to the angle.
  2. Vertical Height – Measuring at a 90 Degree Angle Straight up from a common point referenced on our website for your model of motorcycle. This is the recommended method where vertical height measurements are listed. We suggest having someone hold a tape measure or ruler so you can sit comfortably on your bike.
*Have a 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide? Check out our Rider Profiles to compare your body with that of one of our test riders to see which shield might work best for you!*

No matter what height you choose for your windshield, make sure you are riding with a ClearView.

Feel free to contact us with any other questions, comments, or concerns.

To email our customer service department: info@clearviewshields.com

Or you can give us a call toll free at 1-800-798-6089.

Thank you,
Elizabeth Stenger
Social Media Coordinator
Clearview Shields

So, I have just picked up an 04 America. On the 88 mile ride home I noticed the the windscreen is probably the worst I have ever ridden with. It buffers and even rattles my helmet. The wind even sucks back around and blows my jacket forward. I will try to include a pic of the bike. So what does everyone use on the America that they are happy with? View attachment 36306

We looked at those windscreens on a new bike. We bought the naked America and I just installed a Windvest shield. THE BEST.

Attachments

• 20170327_173614.jpg
    20170327_173614.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 50
We looked at those windscreens on a new bike. We bought the naked America and I just installed a Windvest shield. THE BEST.
Hi
I was wondering which model Windvest screen you put on your bike? It looks very good and I'm considering various options at the moment.
Cheers

I too am in the predicament. Buffeting and wind noise unbearable with the 15" quick release screen.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a '12 America. The windshield is used when I'm traveling only. Just cruising about, the 'shield is off. However, when the 'shield is on, buffeting was a REAL issue. So I decided to move the bottom plate of the whole assembly forward just a bit. This tilted the 'shield back a bit and opened up the space between the shield and the top of the headlight (which allows a bit more air to flow in to the 'negative air pocket' and that, by itself, will reduce buffeting).

Simple thing to do, difficult to write 'bout. So these pics. This plate is on the bottom of the triple tree (front end). Remove the 'shield from the assembly, loosen and remove the 3 torx head screws and the 1 bolt (holding the front brake hose). Move the plate up to realign the rear two bolt holes to the front drilled and tapped holes. Reattach the plate using these 2 now realigned holes. Moves the bottom plate forward or out about an inch. Made a HUGE difference. I put the extra torx back in a vacant hole (beats looking for it later!!) and reattached the brake hose stabilizer to it's place. Still ride without the 'shield 'round town, but trips are way more pleasant with the 'shield in place and buffeting is now a minimal amount.

Attachments

• windshield plate, stock position.jpg
    windshield plate, stock position.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 26
  • windshield plate, revised position.jpg
    windshield plate, revised position.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 24
Great solution. Thanks for the information.

Good engineering!

Great solution. Thanks for the information.
Thanks! Got a pic of the shield in it's new position. Hardly noticeable if you don't know what to look for (bottom of quick disconnect sets further forward of the front fork).

Attachments

• windshield in revised position.jpg
    windshield in revised position.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 22
Good engineering !

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom