avion

Android Guru
Local time
Today, 12:14
First Name
Gareth / G
My Ride
Tiger 800 2011
I was down in Sabie the first weekend in March for a riding weekend.
It started out great enough, although very VERY hot. The tyres were pretty sticky just standing in the sun.

Saturday afternoon after a looooooooooong breakfast / lunch run we stopped at a petrol station.
When I went to start her up again she struggled to turn over but eventually started.
"Aaaargh, the battery's going", I thought to myself.
Did a faaaaaaaaaaaaast run back to Sabie (approx 50km's) - thought it might charge her up some, but no go. Dead as the proverbial door nail.

I tried another battery, which got her going for a bit.
A thought occured to me that she might not be charging, took her to a mate of mine in Sabie , Rupert, who confirmed my worst fears.
Not charging.
Rupert checked out my stator and sure enough it was shorting all 3 phases straight to the chassis.

After we got back home I started to strip her.
Took the stator cover off and saw that the top two windings are visibly burnt.
I took it along with the rectifier/regulator to TTC who tested them both. Yep both shot.

I've just today picked up the replacement parts.
I'm installing a Yamaha R1 reg/rectifier and got my original stator rewound. A new stator is mega $$$$$$.

I'll do a photo write up thing when I get round to putting the new bits in Angie.
Still, she's done 36000km's and this is the first problem I've had - can't complain.

I'm glad you were able to get the stator rewound. Another very expensive piece is a starter. So now Angie is a Triumpaha? BGRIN

Yes please do post some pics of the repair work that would be cool. Sorry she is under the weather but it looks like you have it all sorted out now

36,000 km's seems like very low mileage for this to happen. Just one of those things I guess.

36,000 km's seems like very low mileage for this to happen. Just one of those things I guess.

I'm with Rocky on this.
You said, "Still, she's done 36000km's and this is the first problem I've had - can't complain".
I'd be making big noise, 36,000 km is just run in.

I agree with Rocky and Kevin. 36,000 km (22,370 miles) is kind of early for that type of failure. Usually, one can expect 70,000+ miles ( 112,650 + km) before experiencing that type of problem. Certain years of Goldwings are notorious for that type of failure and repeatedly. I have not seen this with any Triumph. I think, as Rocky said, it is just one of those things.

Well I would tend to agree with you guys. You wouldn't expect this from a car of this mileage, but I have noticed a trend in the states and in the UK of Speed Triples burning out stators, some of them with the rectifier at the same time.

This is why I'm doing what most of the guys are doing and replacing the OEM rectifier with a MOSFET type from a 2007 R1. I can't warrant the costs for a third party or new stator so I'm getting it rewound.

I know of one or two people who have done this as 'preventative maintainance' even.
One guy in particular blew 4 stators under warranty!

Anyways, hoping to have some time to get her right over the weekend.

I am surprised that Triumph have not sorted this one out then

That is good information, G. I will pass it on. Trey, my son has a Speed Triple.

Wow, I hadn't heard that before.
Triumph also had a broken spoke epidemic that they wouldn't acknowledge.
I asked my Triumph dealer if he knew anything about the broken spoke issue and he said he never heard of it. I'm sure he was warned to not to say a word about it or acknowledge that there was a problem.
And this was after my buddy with a 2002 T100 broke two rear spokes and had a flat out on the road.
The broken spoke issue raged all over the internet so I don't know he he could not know about it.

Oh boy lets hope Triumph is not going to go down this road as well :y7:

Wow, I hadn't heard that before.
Triumph also had a broken spoke epidemic that they wouldn't acknowledge.
I asked my Triumph dealer if he knew anything about the broken spoke issue and he said he never heard of it. I'm sure he was warned to not to say a word about it or acknowledge that there was a problem.
And this was after my buddy with a 2002 T100 broke two rear spokes and had a flat out on the road.
The broken spoke issue raged all over the internet so I don't know he he could not know about it.

There is a long running thread on this on the New Triumph Bonneville Forum. Apparently it mostly 2001's and 2002's involved, though I have seen a few other years mentioned. I check my spokes every time I wash the bike. I have not have one break nor have I had one loosen. Somewhere around 2006 (I not sure of the year), Triumph changed the rear wheel on the Bonnies.

There has definitely been a hush up on this from Triumph. They do not discuss it and do not acknowledge it. I do know that Triumph took care of any that broke under warranty; but for the most part it seems to occur after warranty and with over 20K miles. It does not seem to be very widespread; but if it happens once on a bike, it seems likely that it will happen again.

From what i can gather it's not a 'common' problem, however most of the people who I've got info from don't seem to put very many miles on their bikes. They tend to sell them off after a couple of years.
It would be a small percentage of all S3's made I'm sure.

It is interesting however, that newer model Daytona's and Street Triples (675 motors) have change the rectifier model to a MOSFET (FH008A - i think), now I'm not sure if this is a new release, or a warranty job.

However Triumph seemed to have moved away from the OEM shunt type rectifiers in favour of the MOSFET.

Carl perhaps you should tell your son to stick a meter over the battery to check the charging when he's checking fluids and tyre pressures. Might save a stator or rectifier, unlike myself sitting with both blown.

I'm all for preventative maintenance, however I never bothered with the charging system as it didn't appear that common.

meh, hindsight and all that. lol

Thanks, G. I sent him the link to this thread; so he will read what you posted. His is a 2010; so maybe Triumph as "rectified" the problem an the newer models.

Okay, Angie's been taking her medicine and all's well again.

Very good! Glad to hear the good news. Oh, and Trey's Speed Triple is a 2009.

Great stuff back on the road again is it TUP

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom