Staff
Local time
Today, 01:18
First Name
Carl
My Ride
2020 Bonneville T120 Black
Riding Since
This morning was cool (for Florida in July) at 76F/24.4C, a great morning for a ride. Three of us left at 0540 for Titusville and our favorite launch viewing spot. This launch was extra special in that the payload is headed to Mars. The Atlas V is a large, powerful rocket. The launch was awesome, the sky clear and and the roar was loud. We could feel the vibration. After the launch, we had a great breakfast and a good ride home. Round trip was 96 miles/154 kilometers. A fine morning ride'

Space Launch Complex 41, Cape Canaveral, FL

Rocket
Atlas V 541
Atlas V with 5m Fairing, 4 SRB, 1 Centaur upper stage engine.

United Launch Alliance Mission

Mars 2020 (Perseverance rover & Ingenuity helicopter)
Atop this ULA Atlas V rocket is the Perseverance, a car-sized rover which will explore an ancient river delta on Mars. Armed with a suite of six scientific instruments, Perseverance will primarily hunt for clues to the planet's distant past, and hopefully uncover signs of ancient life and habitability. The rover also carries an experiment that'll convert carbon dioxide into oxygen, a box-sized helicopter named Ingenuity that'll demonstrate powered flight on Mars, and a system that enables the rover to leave behind samples for later retrieval and return to Earth during NASA and ESA's ambitious sample return mission later this decade.

United Launch Alliance (ULA) is a joint venture of Lockheed Martin Space Systems and Boeing Defense, Space & Security. ULA was formed in December 2006 by combining the teams at these companies which provide spacecraft launch services to the government of the United States.
ULA launches from both coasts of the US. They launch their Atlas V vehicle from LC-41 in Cape Canaveral and LC-3E at Vandeberg. Their Delta IV launches from LC-37 at Cape Canaveral and LC-6 at Vandenberg.

Sunrise over the Indian River. The building in the center is the Vertical Assembly Building.
20200730_065303.jpg

An Osprey was overhead in a pine tree to wath the launch with us.
20200730_074941.jpg

Post lanuch smoke trail
20200730_075520.jpg

Lift off!
aaa1.jpg

Our round trip route.
Titusville route.jpg

Attachments

• 20200730_075026.jpg
    20200730_075026.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 2
As I was having breakfast today and listening to the radio news, it was announced that the launch would be today.
I immediately said to myself, "I'll bet Carl and his buddies will be there for that!"

Great pictures TUP TUP

Definitely cool stuff. History in the making.
Thanks again for being our eyes and ears for this.

As I was having breakfast today and listening to the radio news, it was announced that the launch would be today.
I immediately said to myself, "I'll bet Carl and his buddies will be there for that!"

Great pictures TUP TUP
Thank you, Rocky. And you were right; we were there.

Definitely cool stuff. History in the making.
Thanks again for being our eyes and ears for this.
Thanks, Q. I am glad I was able to be there and report. Sunday, tropical storm/hurrican willing, the US astronauts are scheduled to return from the ISP and splash down of the coast of Florida.

Thanks for sharing!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom