Texas Tiger
Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Today, 02:29
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
Keystiger modified his J.C. Whitney Top Box, which by the way is another item The Frugal Biker should look into as it is a $49.00 to $79.00 version of the $250 Givi Monokey Top Box. The modification is Keys, I just performed a copy and paste of his write up. Any errors in this post are mine. If I successfully copied the information over and all is correct, then Keys gets all the credit.

Well, finally got around to a mod I have been looking into for a couple years now.
I bought (from JC WHitney) a topbox for 47.00 some time ago. LOVE the box water tight lots of room just a great deal. But no "extra" features like on the high dollar givi or euro boxes costing hundreds more. So I put my degree in redneck engineering (parts 1 and 2) to good use, found a "frugal" (read cheap) price on an L.E.D. light strip for a whopping $1.43 on fleabay and set about to installing it today. After 1 whole hour she was on and running.

Light looks great and should increase visibility to the "cagers"......who drive like meth addict NASCAR racers here.....and thats on a good day, good lord you should see 'em when it rains!!!!

Having issues getting the pics to load (before and after) any suggestions? I am on a MAC if that has anything to do with it, but if any others are interested I can find links for the box and the lights, though I do believe the price on the box has increased in 2 years but I am sure it is still a frugal (cheap) alternative to name brand.

It's not covered in the original write up but the red lenses either just pops out or may have a few small screws holding it in. I had this same box, I paid $79.00 for mine, but I don't remember how the lenses was removed, I never got around to doing this on mine before I sold it with Black Betty for my new bike.

Another mod that was not covered in the original write up was that Keys painted the ugly from the factory faded/pale orange/pinkish trim on the box. This trim is the trim on the same level as the red lenses and wraps around the rider/pillion side of the box. This mod is easily seen in the second photo, it appears as a glossier black trim. This is a much needed mod for the box and was the only one I made on my J.C. Whitney top box.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom