Riding for 49 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 13:34
Apr 14, 2006
Laredo
My Ride
Legend 900 Triple
I was headed out for a ride last Thursday to lunch, and about 1/2 mile from home I had no clutch. I've ridden at least a dozen times with no clutch, but since I was close to home, I just gently whipped it around and crept up to the only traffic signal just after it turned green. Never had to pop it in neutral and get a running start.

I pulled the inspection cap, because it felt as though the adjuster had backed off, but there it was snug. That meant propping it up, setting a drain pan and pulling the transmission cover, and there was the problem: the cable end capture thingamajiggy (I'm pretty sure that's the technical term) had split open, allowing the clutch cable to pop free. It's about a gram and a half of steel, no bigger than 1/2 inch long and not quite the thickness of the cable abutment I.D., but cost a whopping $13.95 on ebay!

ANYWAY, I've caught up to yesterday when I finally swapped it out, drained and flushed the transmission, smeared some MotoSeal on the transmission cover and installed it, then topped it back off. Vroom! 1st kick (darned well BETTER start first kick).

I'd been wanting a shot with a nice new backdrop, and I found the perfect venue at the entrance to the local airport, 10 minutes away with opportunity to flex the transmission and cruise at 65 for a few minutes in the beautiful weather we're having...
IMG_1319.JPG

By the way, the T38 Talon is also a '66 model! These used to be stationed here for training in the late 60s and early 70s.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 26 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 15:34
Jan 28, 2006
Halifax
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Great photo TUP TUP
Two of my favourite things; bIkes ands planes.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 21:34
Jan 5, 2006
Port Elizabeth
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Wow what a COOL photo like they were made for each other.