Best Tire If Your Riding 60% Off Road?

Bigshoe

Local time
Today, 06:14
First Name
john
My Ride
None right now just sold my HD and looking to buy a Scrambler in the spring...
What tire do you guy's feel is a good all rounder but leaning a little more towards off road?

I don't have a recommendation but am happy to share my experience :).

I just took off a pair of Heidenau k60 scouts. These are a 50/50 tire. I got a lot of wear out of them - 16000 km, the rear was done but the front was good for another 3000 or 4000km. I found them really good on gravel roads. But they weren't great in mud and wet grass (I'm guessing only a good knobby will help you here ;-)). They are a hard tire so I found them a little slippery on the cold wet days. I found the front really started to get noisy when it got about 50% wear. It turned out I wasn't doing as much dirt (gravel) as I thought I would. I found that I was doing more pavement to get to the gravel sections I wanted to ride. So I swapped them for a 70/30 tire (Shinko 705). I only have about 1000km on the Shinkos and not a lot of gravel so I can't offer a opinion other than the price is right ;-).

I have Mitas E07 Dakars on my 1200XE. They're a 50/50 tire and are much better on the road than K60's that I've used in the past although K60's likely get better mileage due to the hard rubber central strip. The E07's are very good on gravel imho and decent in moderate off-road conditions, certainly better than K60's. For gnarly off road you probably need a knobbier tire though. There's not much difference between the regular and the Dakar version except the Dakars are more puncture resistant due to having an extra ply in the side wall.

It's largely down to personal choice though, so it's difficult to 'recommend' a specific tire.

DSCN6155 (3).JPG

Depends on how offroad your offroad is; and how agressive you ride. If you are riding serious offroad aggressively the michelin AC10's are great, but you'll destroy them if you do any serious road miles. I have these on my drz400 and love them.

If you are doing less serious offroad, then the trailmax missions are a good compromise. They handle almost as well as street tires on the road and have good longevity, and aren't too bad offroad (gravel, hardpack and loam). I have these on my 1200XC, and am very happy with them so far Haven't had them in the mud or in any sand yet, but wouldnt expect them to compare to a knobby in those conditions..

I like getting off the beating path for sure, used to enjof giving it heck but older now so a good moderate to slightly technical off road would best describe my riding style..

I like getting off the beating path for sure, used to enjof giving it heck but older now so a good moderate to slightly technical off road would best describe my riding style..
I used the trailmax mission on the Labrador trip . A surprisingly good road performer considering the look of the tread . No problem on gravel or dirt roads and good in the mud too . It’s the new kid on the block but it’s pretty serious .

I used the trailmax mission on the Labrador trip . A surprisingly good road performer considering the look of the tread . No problem on gravel or dirt roads and good in the mud too . It’s the new kid on the block but it’s pretty serious .
Good to Know, thanks..

My 900 is currently riding on Conti TKC-80s, front and rear. Very good on pavement and in the wet, and excellent for off pavement. This is a knobby tire. Wonderful tire except for wear! I will burn through the rear in 3-4 thousand miles, although the front should be good for twice that. When the rear is done, I may replace it with a TKC-70 Rocks and see how that works out. Off pavement, the bite of the front tire is critical. If the front washes out, you almost surely go down. If the rear slides, that can be more easily controlled.

I have heard positive things about the Dunlop Trailmax Missions too. Much better tire for longevity, but not as effective off pavement.

I have heard positive things about the Dunlop Trailmax Missions too. Much better tire for longevity, but not as effective off pavement.
Think the front should be aggressive enough. The rear is less so to allow some slip for powering out of corners.
You could alway try one on the front or back(whichever needs replacing first) to see if you like them.
Tires are like anything and subject to one's own opinion.
Have had them on my Tiger Explorer for almost 10K kms(6K miles) and off road quite a few times as well as two up touring and very pleased with them, I will easily get another 6-7 K kms out of them. I don't push my 600 lb bike hard when off road, 'cause I don't like replacing expensive parts, and I take longer to heal these days.

Last edited:
Think the front should be aggressive enough. The rear is less so to allow some slip for powering out of corners.
You could alway try one on the front or back(whichever needs replacing first) to see if you like them.
Tires are like anything and subject to one's own opinion.
Have had them on my Tiger Explorer for almost 10K kms(6K miles) and off road quite a few times as well as two up touring and very pleased with them, I will easily get another 6-7 K kms out of them. I don't push my 600 lb bike hard when off road, 'cause I don't like replacing expensive parts, and I take longer the heal these days.
Year before last the skin on my fingers was splitting badly and had to be taped to keep them from bleeding . This is often a sure sign of a poor grip which leads to things heading in the wrong direction and the stress put on the fingers as the hands try to correct the mistakes at the last moment . By making swing and grip adjustments I’ve reduced my finger pain and lowered my score as well .

Another vote for Trailmax... had them on my V-Strom , And putting them on my Tiger before my trip out west in May.235718304_4236203716455757_3190704249305591114_n.jpg

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom