Buffeting

Paul D

Local time
Today, 15:54
First Name
Paul
My Ride
Commander
Hi all, I have recently had a windscreen fitted to my Thunderbird Commander to get some of the wind off of my chest however, now I get this horrible buffeting that I never new existed. Has anybody got any ideas?
I have already tried cutting it down shorter on somebodies advice but now I get strong winds straight into my face. Any body?

Is it the Triumph windscreen, or aftermarket?

Yes it is and it is a triumph screen and fitted by Triumph

FWIW, I had a Triumph summer screen fitted to my Bonneville and it soon became too tiring to put up with the helmet buffeting.
I ditched it and fitted a smaller fly screen.
That works fine for me, but may not be for everyone - and also depends on how much wind protection you want.

I just want to have a comfortable ride on the highway at highway speeds, does the fly screen cause any buffeting at all?

Getting just the right screen can be a frustrating search and endless spending of money to find one.
So much depends on the style of the bike, your size (tall, short), arm length, how you sit on the bike, etc.
I chose a Givi A200 universal fly screen and it works well for me on my Bonneville (no buffeting other than normal wind blast), but I have no idea how it might work on your T-bird.

Mine came with the tall screen. Did not like looking through the windscreen so had it cut down about 3-3 1/2 inches. Also with the height of the tall screen, it created a 'bubble' of hot air circulating all around me. Intolerable on hot days. Now I look over it and buffeting is almost non existent. I am tall(6'2"). That's what works for me. If you started with the normal windscreen and had it cut down, I could see why you would have issues.

Hey Steve, my brother who has a Harley Heritage also changed to the bigger screen from 18" to 21" and is now happy with the outcome. I also wanted the LT like yours but they had none in stock to test ride so I settled for the Commander, (impatient). Triumph told me they don't do a bigger screen for the Commander so I would have to go after market, any idea where I can get that from?

That's might be a tough one, Paul. Our bikes were produced in such small numbers and short production run that the aftermarket never really made much for them. The windscreen upper add on may be the best idea to try in your case, possibly with a new uncut windscreen if you can still get a new one. There may be some windscreens out there for the Commander, but I haven't really looked.

Mmm, i think it all just sounds too hard so i might just run with no screen at all, thanks anyway.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom