Burned up my rear brake, Need advice

Dezzracer

Local time
Today, 01:30
First Name
Brian
My Ride
2017 Bonneville Bobber
So after coming down a long steep mountain on my 2017 Bobber my rear brake rotor looks to be overheated and burnt. I only have less than 3,000 miles on the bike and my pads are about gone too. Brake seems to work fine though. I do ride aggressive and I'm hard on brakes but still. Anyway...my local Triumph dealer quoted me $630.00 to replace rotor, pads and flush and replace brake fluid. WTF? Seems really high to me? Couple of questions: If the rotor just looks to be overheated but its not warped do I have to replace it? Is there an upgrade rear brake setup or even just better pads for the bobbers? Thanks in advance for your help

You can get better pads. If you have a Cycle Gear store in your area, you can get them there considerably cheaper than through a dealer's shop. You can also order online from Cycle Gear. Bike Bandit online is another source as well as Chaparral. I have bought from all three. If the rotor is not warped or cracked,it should be okay. Make sure it is not glazed over. You can find brake parts at the above shops as well as at newbonneville.com and bellacorse.com. You can call any of these shops and they will be glad to help you. If you cannot do the work yourself, you can buy the parts and take them to the dealer to have the work done.

If you have never drained and flushed the brake system, that needs to be done. I do this annually; but I ride in a much wetter climate than you do. I would flush my brake system every two years if I rode in your climate. The book calls for this to be done annually.

You can get better pads. If you have a Cycle Gear store in your area, you can get them there considerably cheaper than through a dealer's shop. You can also order online from Cycle Gear. Bike Bandit online is another source as well as Chaparral. I have bought from all three. If the rotor is not warped or cracked,it should be okay. Make sure it is not glazed over. You can find brake parts at the above shops as well as at newbonneville.com and bellacorse.com. You can call any of these shops and they will be glad to help you. If you cannot do the work yourself, you can buy the parts and take them to the dealer to have the work done.

If you have never drained and flushed the brake system, that needs to be done. I do this annually; but I ride in a much wetter climate than you do. I would flush my brake system every two years if I rode in your climate. The book calls for this to be done annually.

So after coming down a long steep mountain on my 2017 Bobber my rear brake rotor looks to be overheated and burnt. I only have less than 3,000 miles on the bike and my pads are about gone too. Brake seems to work fine though. I do ride aggressive and I'm hard on brakes but still. Anyway...my local Triumph dealer quoted me $630.00 to replace rotor, pads and flush and replace brake fluid. WTF? Seems really high to me? Couple of questions: If the rotor just looks to be overheated but its not warped do I have to replace it? Is there an upgrade rear brake setup or even just better pads for the bobbers? Thanks in advance for your help

Just to add o the very through advice you have already received, see if you can find a UTube video of a rear brake
job.
It’s not that difficult, just make sure you use the correct brake fluid, have the right combination wrench for the bleed screw, cover all paint work and if you remove the bleed screw completely put some anti-seize on it before you start bleeding the system of air. Deglaze the disc and scuff it with some steel wool or a scotch pad. If it’s you first try at a brake job, take pictures before disassembly. If you find that your experiencing a pulsing sensation when you use the brake in all likelihood you have a warped disc, and see what prices you come up with on the internet.
Try and lay off the rear brake as much as possible you have much better stopping power with the front and downshift the bike to slow down

Just to add o the very through advice you have already received, see if you can find a UTube video of a rear brake
job.
It’s not that difficult, just make sure you use the correct brake fluid, have the right combination wrench for the bleed screw, cover all paint work and if you remove the bleed screw completely put some anti-seize on it before you start bleeding the system of air. Deglaze the disc and scuff it with some steel wool or a scotch pad. If it’s you first try at a brake job, take pictures before disassembly. If you find that your experiencing a pulsing sensation when you use the brake in all likelihood you have a warped disc, and see what prices you come up with on the internet.
Try and lay off the rear brake as much as possible you have much better stopping power with the front and downshift the bike to slow down

Delboy's Garage has great videos on motorbike maintenance.

Here's one on changing the brake fluid:
View: https://youtu.be/jsWAybC05RQ

Rear brake upgrade:
View: https://youtu.be/Q4tPLd2lOyA

I did the same thing, by using my rear brakes, more than my front brakes to stop and to slow down, the dealer told me, when I took it in too get the work done. So after that 110.00 $ lesson. I down shift and let my clutch slow me down now, until just before the stop and then go for my front and rear. But ,I mainly use more pressure on the front to do the stop. Unless, it's a quick stop. In that case, I just manley use the front brake and also the rear brakes evenly to stop me. But, with not as much pressure on the rear brakes, as I'm using with my front brakes and I'm mostly using my clutch to slow me down. But, I didn't know about Cycle Gears pads, being better and cheaper in price. The next time, that I have to change my pads, I'll buy them from Cycler Gear. Plus, I found out that there's a great little motorcycle repair shop, in my little town. With a really great reputation, for working on any motorcycle. Plus, they're cheaper than the dealer and the work is very good, I understand. The next time that I need some small maintenance done. I'll have them do the work and see how they do, compared to my Triumph dealer. Which by the way, is a great shop, with great people. But, it's also kind of snobbish too. I think that's because, they're mainly a BMW, Cam-AM dealership. But, they do great work also. For a great price, for a dealer. But, if I can find a shop in my own town, with a solid reputation for doing great work on all motorcycles. Including, European, Asian and American motorcycles. I want to check them out. For thing like tires, sprockets, chains, brake pads, and so on. I'll let them do it. Instead, of taking it into the dealer. As long, as work is as good, as everybody say that it is. Hey what do you guys think about that tec cam that one of our members had done to his Triumph. It's a really good review, to read about.

Go ahead and get a aftermarket vented wave rotor and sintered brake pads. They will up the grip, heat resistance, and longevity of that back brake. I always overused my back brake for years just try to remember to use the front and engine braking too. Downshift and let off the throttle to keep the RPMs up to about 4 that will give you enough resistance to supplement the brakes without causing wheel chatter on dust or loose rocks going down hills. It doesn't really burn that much more gas then just coasting either because you're not hammering on the throttle. Whatever you lose on gas you save on brake pads or repairs.

Love the trick with the clamp just so happen to have one and would never have thought of it :), great videos all ways interesting.:y146:

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom