Carb Drain

T-Bird900

Local time
Today, 08:05
First Name
Scott
My Ride
2000 Triumph Thunderbird 900
Hi, New to site. I have a 2000 Thunderbird 900. Had rough running on my way to annual winter storage at the Kawasaki dealer. They cleaned and restored my carbs. The bike ran fine. Then I was not paying attention to my petcock and ran out of gas on my way to the gas station. I filled the bike up and it ran well. A few days later bike wouldn't start. Ran down the battery and had to charge it. After putting it back in the bike started. I let it idle while I replaced the side cover. It stalled as I started to move it. Won't start now. The Kawasaki mechanic recommended trying to drain carbs. I see the screws on the outside carbs for draining. but can't see the middle one. Any wisdom for trying this process? Thanks in advance for the help. Scott

Attachments

• 20210725_151947.jpg
    20210725_151947.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 3
I’m not going to be much help, but I recommend getting the service manual for your Triumph. Taking the carb out and cleaning wouldn’t hurt.

The middle drain screw points to the right hand side , but you will need a long screw driver to reach it .

Yes, points out to the right. It's easy enough to see but sometimes obscured by one of the breathers from the airbox. Easy enough to loosen with a long screwdriver but a real pain if it drops out.

Attachments

• 2022-08-29 20.19.01.jpg
    2022-08-29 20.19.01.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 10
Hi, New to site. I have a 2000 Thunderbird 900. Had rough running on my way to annual winter storage at the Kawasaki dealer. They cleaned and restored my carbs. The bike ran fine. Then I was not paying attention to my petcock and ran out of gas on my way to the gas station. I filled the bike up and it ran well. A few days later bike wouldn't start. Ran down the battery and had to charge it. After putting it back in the bike started. I let it idle while I replaced the side cover. It stalled as I started to move it. Won't start now. The Kawasaki mechanic recommended trying to drain carbs. I see the screws on the outside carbs for draining. but can't see the middle one. Any wisdom for trying this process? Thanks in advance for the help. Scott
Welcome to our Merry Band of Triumph Owners with particular emphasis on the three (3) cylinder early models.
Whenever I put my 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900 in winter storage, I remove all the fuel from the fuel tank, and remove the fuel from the float bowls. The drain screws can be a pain, thus you will have to find a long flat bladed screwdriver. With the ad of a flashlight (the Brits call it a torch), look on the right side along the float bowl row and you will see the screw. Word of caution, make sure the blade is sitting in the slot before you start turning to back off to allow the fuel to drain. You will hear a slight click, thus back the screw out 3 + turns and the fuel will start pouring out. I found at an automotive shop a long spigot oil funnel that I cut in half to slip into the drain screw to catch the fuel, as I hate messes and the smell.
Your starting issue could be a number of things especially it you start and stop the engine all the time, as the three-cylinder early Triumph's. In the spring and towards the the late summer I put a fuel additive called Sea Foam. Not sure what's in it, but do know it keeps the carburetors internals clean.

I hope you're using ethanol free fuel, if not I recommend only using it. You might have a leak in your vacuum line or a clogged petcock filter. If you have a clogged petcock filter you probably have some rust or flaking in your gas tank. Sorry to open a can of worms but once you have fuel problems you should start at the gas tank, petcock, fuel and vacuum lines and clean the carbs. I had to do all of this on my 96 Trident. Good luck!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom