Carb Jet Upgrade And Tuning

Tried cleaning the seals. After a good effort I was skeptical they would be ok. Previous service and upgrade had used sealant on the seals, causing parts of them to be hard. Called my local Triumph dealership and they said they had the seals. Picked them up. Progress will ensue.
2C0BB5A4-EF1A-45E0-9024-1AC6AC29437D.jpeg

Excellent! That should bring peace of mind.

Assembly. New seal. 4DE3CA44-9E2C-4897-A0E1-57D5BA8D2D2E.jpegF546AABB-11AA-49C0-B1BA-97F17D6E70A8.jpeg
New fuel bowl screws.

Everything done for now.
F3994882-F5D9-49F9-9152-510615680C77.jpeg

Let it warm up a bit. Very responsive throttle and no carburetor backfire noted. Testing it tomorrow morning on the road.

Sounds pretty damned good!
Great job. Get out and enjoy the fruits of your labor.:beer:

Sounds pretty damned good!
Great job. Get out and enjoy the fruits of your labor.:beer:
I can tell it's way better than before. It breathes a whole bunch better. I didn't have a reference point, but now I know it wasn't setup right for even the mods done before mine. Going tomorrow!

Test ride done! I did have to reset my idle speed it was at around 1500 to 1700 even with the engine warm.

Observations:
1. Much more responsive with the throttle.
2. Smoother taking off, and seems quicker taking off. Definitely faster.
3. No exhaust backfire after letting off the throttle and no carburetor backfire either.
4. Somehow the gears seem longer. This kind of related to point 2.
5. Sound is definitely nicer. Before it seemed a bit loud without purpose.
6. It was even more fun to ride and it was fun before.

Conclusion: On the carburetor model of the Thruxton, removing the airbox, removing AI, installing free flow (performance) mufflers and upgrading jets is a good recommendation. If the motorcycle has already had one or more of these mods done it makes even more sense. I had a nagging feeling something was out of tune or not exactly right with my Thruxton, but without someone more knowledgeable than myself putting eyeballs and ears in person to it I couldn’t confirm anything. My thought is that with the performance type exhaust installed and AI removed a 45 pilot jet was perhaps a size too large or keeping the main jet at 110 was too small. Not an expert, so can’t say that either was the reason for exhaust backfire when letting off the throttle, but I do think the jets supplied with the British Customs airbox removal kit are correct for a setup with the listed modifications. The key to this motorcycle is selecting the appropriate jets after any major components are removed or changed.

This has been an exercise in learning for me and learning a bit about this motorcycle. For some people these mods are not possible due to state and local laws and regulations, so know your local restrictions before getting started. I know this isn’t the way the Thruxton could’ve ever come out of the factory, but to me it is the way it should have been. Definitely has that old 60’s motorcycle vibe now, the ones I remember seeing as a kid. LoL.

Another comment and observation, I mentioned there had been previous mods done prior to my airbox removal. According to Jenks it would appear the pilot jet should have remained at 40 and the main jet is what should have been increased, perhaps to a 130 for the previous mods. I linked Jenks’ article earlier, but the chart is really a good guideline.BD02557B-88A8-45CE-B375-180E12780815.jpeg
Hope this helps anyone contemplating mods or trying to resolve carburetor issues.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom