Carbs on, carbs off, carbs on, carbs off.......What next?

livelarg

Local time
Today, 01:17
First Name
kent
My Ride
99' Speed Triple
08' Bonneville
11' Tiger 800XC
Howdy all!

I just got my first Bonnie! an 08' with carbs.
So excited! I also have a 99' Triple and an 11' Tiger, Just sold my 10' Thunderbird.

The bike hasn't run in a could of years, and had to get a stock set of carbs.

Here is my issue.
The bike starts and runs, but only with the choke on, no matter how long I let it warm up, it dies immediately when I push in the choke.
I have cleaned the carbs, soaked and cleaned the jets, shot compressed air through them. they are definitely not clogged.
It stats beautifully, and idles fantastic. But as soon as I push in the choke, it still dies instantly. It doesn't sputter and die, it just turns off. It acts as though pushing in the choke cuts the ignition or something.

Any ideas on what to check next?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kent

Then your Bonnie is different from mine. I have an '08 Bonnie T100 and I've been corrected that the bike is EFI (electronic fuel injection) and those "carbs" are for show only.

This may sound silly but the choke is not in reverse is it? Just a thought.

does the bike rev up on choke or does it die the same as when you close the choke ?

Then your Bonnie is different from mine. I have an '08 Bonnie T100 and I've been corrected that the bike is EFI (electronic fuel injection) and those "carbs" are for show only.

2008 Bonnevills for the USA market had carbs. The USA didn't get EFI until 2009.

Is it a choke or an enrichener . I know nothing about older Triumphs .

On the new Bonnevilles (Hinckley), it is an enrichener. On the vintage Triumphs it is a choke.

Hey! Did you fix it?

If not check your ideal air screws and main jet size.

Any mods done? Has any previous mods been removed?

Could have a bad air leak between the carb and the engine.

Where the fuel line makes a "T" between the carbs, there is a tiny filter INSIDE the "T" fitting.

Mine has come up clogged several times, it needs to be cleaned out and re-inserted.

I would suggest you pull the carbs off, take them apart, and soak all the metallic parts in Berryman's Chem-Dip. It is fiddly to pull them apart from each other, so you can leave them both connected and just dip one for 30 minutes, rinse VERY thoroughly, then dip the other and rinse thoroughly.

Also, the tiny brass low-speed jets can easily clog. You'll need a thin screwdriver to remove them from the underside of the carbs after you remove the bowls. Pull a single strand from a wire bristle brush and poke them through to clear them.

I'll bet you get a huge grin after that!

If that doesn’t work we’ll bring in the experts from somewhere .

You don't get much more expert than GrandPaul.

I have a 2008 Thruxton,,and yes----its carburated. The 2009 models all came with Fuel injection.... ...and I have taken mine off once to clean and rejet after mods to the airbox, filter and exhaust system- used only spray carb cleaner and jet cleaning wires----reassembled and the bike only needed to get warm and then adjust the a/f and synchronize---which may be the problem with carbs fiddled with and have gotten out of sync---you need the tool to do this---some older bikes you could cut out one cylinder and set each carb individually---like the older BMW's..

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom