Premium Member
Staff
Local time
Today, 07:44
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Riding Since
2019 licensed about a decade earlier.
On the carburetor models of the Bonneville series, in order to access the jets and switch them out some disassembly is required. Does the seal under the cover need to be replaced each time it’s taken apart or only if it leaks or has damage?

bonnevilles have had a number of very different carburetors over the years.

what kind of carburetor is it?

bonnevilles have had a number of very different carburetors over the years.

what kind of carburetor is it?
The manual says 2 Keihin CVK 36.

I’m suspecting at minimum I need two float bowl seals. Anything else? Float bowl is the “cover” I noted. Sorry for the imprecise wording above. I don’t think I need a full rebuild kit.

generally if all you want to do is drop the bowl to access the jets or float needle, you wont need anything. modern carburetors are pretty robust in their o-rings and gaskets, ifv they arent too old.

maybe "carburetor" and "modern" dont even go together these days.

anyway you will likely need nothing, because the o-rings and gaskets typically fit into grooves and the metal parts come away with gentle tapping without damaging them.

however, you can buy a "service kit " for a lot less miney than a "rebuild kit." it will have the most often needed gaskets and o-rings. im lookin at one in the states that has a bowl gasket, a pilot screw and spring, a float neede, and an o-ring.

thats likely all you need. what are planning with the jets?

generally if all you want to do is drop the bowl to access the jets or float needle, you wont need anything. modern carburetors are pretty robust in their o-rings and gaskets, ifv they arent too old.

maybe "carburetor" and "modern" dont even go together these days.

anyway you will likely need nothing, because the o-rings and gaskets typically fit into grooves and the metal parts come away with gentle tapping without damaging them.

however, you can buy a "service kit " for a lot less miney than a "rebuild kit." it will have the most often needed gaskets and o-rings. im lookin at one in the states that has a bowl gasket, a pilot screw and spring, a float neede, and an o-ring.

thats likely all you need. what are planning with the jets?
I’m going to delete the current airbox and replace it with British Customs airbox delete kit which comes with a variety of jets. I have some type of more free flow exhaust, not sure exactly whose it is. It was on the motorcycle when I bought it. I also don’t know if anyone upgraded the jets when the exhaust was changed. So after I install the kit, I need to drain the carburetor bowls and take a look.

pay close attention to your jetting. pod filters on CV carbs are sometimes hard to jet. you have an advantage because british customs has done the research.

this generic keihin CV looks like you can remove the needle jet holder, needle jet, and main jet all at once from the center drain hole without removing the bowl, 12, 13, and 14

if it has a center drain hole?

Attachments

• 1629673367613.png
    1629673367613.png
    177 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
pay close attention to your jetting. pod filters on CV carbs are sometimes hard to jet. you have an advantage because british customs has done the research.

this generic keihin CV looks like you can remove the needle jet holder, needle jet, and main jet all at once from the center drain hole without removing the bowl, 12, 13, and 14

if it has a center drain hole?
It has a drain of some sort. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the comments. It’ll be a bit before I get to it. I’m side tracked with polishing a brushed fender to match a polished rear.

If you expect to be in and out of those carbs a few times, you might consider replacing the factory phillips head screws with hex head that are easier to deal with.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom