Today, 09:28
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Riding Since
Published in: Gear

Cardo Packtalk EDGE Updates intro

Cardo’s new Packtalk EDGE is being touted as the most advanced rider communication system in the world. ADVMoto headed to Roland Sands store in Long Beach, CA as ground zero to check out the new units.

At first look, I really liked the clean appearance of the unit which is sleek, with no pop-up antenna. It has an elegant hi-tech appearance. Also, it looks to be well sealed and should be waterproof and resistant to mud, dust and snow, . I also believe that this will be easy to clean as I’m sure people will take this through dusty and dirty conditions. It doesn’t have a lot of nooks and crannies to it that would hold dirt hostage.

Cardo Packtalk EDGE Review 1

Furthermore with the “Air Mount” you basically just bring the Packtalk EDGE unit near the mount on your helmet and it magnetically snaps on. It comes off just as easily by pressing a small tab in the front and sliding the unit forward. I was worried that maybe you could break free of the magnet by pulling it off, but once in place it’s very secure.

Although I had no issues, buttons were easy to find like on previous Cardo systems, but were a touch smaller and might be difficult to locate with bigger gloves or hands. We were soon paired up into groups for a test ride into Malibu where we would get to experience what the new system was all about.

Cardo Packtalk EDGE Review 2

Powered by the second generation of Cardo’s dynamic mesh communication system, the new Packtalk EDGE is supposed to provide crystal clear sound and lightning-fast pairing for a group of up to 15 riders at a combined range of about 1 mile (1.6 km). Perhaps one of the most impressive updates is the simplified pairing.

With a single button press, we all instantly connected together into our group! I thought that was pretty cool since some other units I’ve used requires referencing a manual or instructional video to get everyone linked up. This is a major win for Cardo. Pairing to my iPhone was a breeze as well. Cardo’s new firmware just sorts it out, seamlessly. We all just want this stuff to WORK!

On road communication was clear free from distortion. Everyone sounded great with no overlap or audio chattering like some units we’ve tried in the past. This was another big plus.

A bit into the ride I received a phone call. With Cardo’s “Natural Voice Engine”, which claims to have been improved over previous models, I just said “Hey Cardo, Answer phone” and took the call. That’s it. There’s seamless integration with Siri as well. Group communications were paused during the call and resumed once the call ended. Cardo’s previous units all have Natural Voice Engine commands, but these seemed smoother and more seamless with better voice recognition. It’s also adjustable through an iPhone app.

For people who might not be super tech savvy, I think this is a way easier improved user interface in a communication system. Cardo’sConnect” app also provides complete control over the Packtalk EDGE with a great user interface to control pairing and update the unit.

Other improvements over the older models such as the Packtalk Bold or Packtalk Slim, would be an improved JBL sound and noise canceling microphone. Also, fast charging requires only two hours for full charge, while over-the-air firmware updates is a welcome and long overdue feature on new units.

Something not to be overlooked is a system like this would not only be ideal for every day street rides, but also group trail riding on bikes or side by sides. This system would be completely hands-free and weatherproof allowing a trail-riders to concentrate more on riding than fiddling with a bunch of buttons.

Cardo Packtalk EDGE Review 3

Recap some of the improvements of the Packtalk EDGE:​

• Sleek Design:​

• Features a slim and shallow footprint
    • Built-in antenna (no popup antenna)
  • All-New Features:​

• Air Mount (Magnetic cradle for physical connection to helmet)
    • Over-the-air software updates (no cables. no hassles)
    • Fast Charging (20 min charge time = 2 hours talk time. Unit fully changed after 1.5-2 hours of charge time)
    • USB-C charging cable
    • All-New Bluetooth 5.2 chip (most advanced Bluetooth offering on the market)
  • Boosted Performance:​

• Second Generation Dynamic Mesh Communication (DMC) -- wide-band, crystal clear intercom sound with an even easier and faster pairing process
    • Upgraded Natural Voice Engine, enhanced JBL Sound, improved noise-cancelling microphone

MSRP for the new Packtalk EDGE is $389.95 for a single (available for pre-order)and $699.95 for a Duo (available now). Check CardoSystems.com for more information. The Packtalk Bold will continue to be offered alongside the Packtalk EDGE and available worldwide.

Pros:​

• Excellent sound quality and slick looks
  • Nifty magnetic mount
  • Fast pairing and improved configuration app
  • Excellent sounds and mic performance at speed

Cons:​

• Buttons could be a little small for large hands
  • A bit pricey!

Continue reading...

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom