dailywarren

Riding for 35 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 23:11
First Name
Dailey
My Ride
I ride a '99 Legend TT 900
My shop guy (trustworthy) believes the CDI box might be bad on my 1999 TT Legend 900. Carbs are clean, everything else checks out, but the bike will run until it gets warm, die, cool down, then start right back up. And it looks like the CDI box has already been replaced at least once, so I was wondering:
- is this a common problem for the Legend?
- do I have to get this specific CDI box for this bike or can I use a CDI box from, say, a Bonneville?
- should a Triumph dealership have a diagnostic computer to verify this is the problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 4 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 21:11
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Test CDI:

Repair CDI:

Qship

Riding for 40 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 01:11
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Don't think a CDI box for a Bonneville will work as yours is a triple and the Bonnie a twin. Could be just a bad pick up sensor on the crank or camshaft, wherever it is located on your bike. Something else to look at

Gandolf

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
Today, 05:11
First Name
steve
My Ride
1960 Bonneville T120
My shop guy (trustworthy) believes the CDI box might be bad on my 1999 TT Legend 900. Carbs are clean, everything else checks out, but the bike will run until it gets warm, die, cool down, then start right back up. And it looks like the CDI box has already been replaced at least once, so I was wondering:
- is this a common problem for the Legend?
- do I have to get this specific CDI box for this bike or can I use a CDI box from, say, a Bonneville?
- should a Triumph dealership have a diagnostic computer to verify this is the problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Before you go and waste money, see if you can borrow one to try first, its a simple job to take off and try, i ended up replacing ht leads coils pick up plugs etc on mine, all to no avail, i borrowed a black box which was not the problem, in the end i took the carbs back off and found a jet had come loose and was in the float bowl. I had taken the carbs off in the first place to replace main jets and clean, But obviously i had not tightened one of them up tight enough.

Larryblag

Riding for 43 Years
Local time
Today, 05:11
First Name
Philip
My Ride
2021 T100
Don't think a CDI box for a Bonneville will work as yours is a triple and the Bonnie a twin. Could be just a bad pick up sensor on the crank or camshaft, wherever it is located on your bike. Something else to look at
If you have (or can borrow) an oscilloscope you can see if the pulse from the pick up sensor is good. It should be a nicely shaped square wave of appropriate amplitude. I had this issue on a Fiat Punto which was getting very difficult to start. I swapped the TDC sensor and all was well. The one I took off looked like a hedgehog with all manner of magnetic detritus sticking to it. This was damping the pulse to the point where the ECU couldn't "see" it. I kept it as a spare - it wasn't worth reinstalling as the replacement was only a tenner

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom