Premium Member
Staff
Local time
Today, 00:33
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Riding Since
2019 licensed about a decade earlier.
Apparently some chain tool kits are discontinued by Triumph. Are there universal tool kits for chain maintenance and adjusting that y'all recommend?

I guess the simple question is will universal chain tools work on Triumphs?

A chain is a chain no matter who the manufacturer is.
I have never looked into chain tool kits so have no idea what's in them or what they are intended to do.
What is it you want to do to your chain?

A chain is a chain no matter who the manufacturer is.
I have never looked into chain tool kits so have no idea what's in them or what they are intended to do.
What is it you want to do to your chain?
Take it off if needed. I thought this required pushing a pin out and or pushing in for reassembling. Generally looking to get tools related to maintenance or repair.

I’d like to have a few tools on hand just in case they are needed and I’d rather buy now than when I really need one. Just not sure all the items that are specific to motorcycles and a Triumphs in particular.

Last edited:
It's very unlikely that you will need to take a chain apart and put it back together. I can't think of any circumstance where you would need to do that.

If you want a chain tool kit, then I think Motion Pro has what you need, but there are others that you can find on the 'net.

As I mentioned, a chain is a chain. It doesn't matter what bike it's fitted to.
These days they are all endless O-ring chains.

It's very unlikely that you will need to take a chain apart and put it back together. I can't think of any circumstance where you would need to do that.

If you want a chain tool kit, then I think Motion Pro has what you need, but there are others that you can find on the 'net.

As I mentioned, a chain is a chain. It doesn't matter what bike it's fitted to.
These days they are all endless O-ring chains.
Thanks, if it’s unlikely then I’ll get tools that are more likely to be needed. So I won’t need one to replace a chain and sprockets?

If you're going to replace the chain with a riveted chain (endless) then you would need a tool to pop out a rivet set the new rivet.
Lots of videos on the 'net to show you how and what's needed.

The sprockets only need metric wrenches.

If you're going to replace the chain with a riveted chain (endless) then you would need a tool to pop out a rivet set the new rivet.
Lots of videos on the 'net to show you how and what's needed.

The sprockets only need metric wrenches.
What kind of chain is this?E6AC8CB2-62AB-4AF9-91D7-4344A1FF8C52.jpeg

On Youtube, Fortnine has a video of 5 tools every motorcyclist should have. He addresses your question, though he may not specifically answer it. BGRIN

That's a DID X-ring chain.
Most companies use O-rings to keep the grease inside, but DID use X-rings. Both work equally well.

On Youtube, Fortnine has a video of 5 tools every motorcyclist should have. He addresses your question, though he may not specifically answer it. BGRIN
I’ll look it up. Thanks.
That's a DID X-ring chain.
Most companies use O-rings to keep the grease inside, but DID use X-rings. Both work equally well.
Oops. More to read up about! LoL.

Same tools for both x and o ring? I guess my next step is just to clean it good and lube.

Same tools for both x and o ring? I guess my next step is just to clean it good and lube.
Yes. The rings have nothing to do with anything else.
They are fitted just inside the outside plates to hold the factory grease inside the rollers.

Yes. The rings have nothing to do with anything else.
They are fitted just inside the outside plates to hold the factory grease inside the rollers.
Thanks! Good to know. Appreciate the education.

You're more than welcome. I don't know a lot, but don't mind sharing what little I do know BGRIN

These modern chains are sooo much better than the ones I rode with back in the 50's and 60's. Maintenance is a breeze.

there are modern x ring chains that use a screw link, no tools needed. if your chain is shot just cut it off however. put a lighter but strong 520 x ring on my 18 T120 with 17 front + 41 teeth rear 100 links worked, of course new sprockets to match. get kits of choice from the sprocketcenter.com

Apparently some chain tool kits are discontinued by Triumph. Are there universal tool kits for chain maintenance and adjusting that y'all recommend?
I replaced the chain and sprockets on my 2007 Triumph Speedmaster. You need to know the pitch of the chain and the number of links in the chain. You should change the sprockets at the same time. You will need to know how many teeth on each sprocket. I purchased my kit on ebay. Just over $110 for the chain and sprockets. I have been happy so far. If you do it yourself, you need a chain rivet tool. Harbor freight sells them for $15.00. I had to remove a few links in the chain as it was too long. I recommend having the Triumph service manual as it will give you details on how to do it. Failing that, watch a few utube videos on the process.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom