Changing Gearing In My Triumph Twin

genetoo

Local time
Yesterday, 21:59
First Name
Gene
My Ride
1973 Triumph Tiger 750 TR7-R
The wiring harness is in and it went well thanks to all your tips,were very helpful Another question. I prefer hwy cruising 60 -70 mph & don't want to turn the high RPMs required to do this, hearing the engine sing ,making it a bit more uncomfortable & tiring to ride long distances. So I want to add or subtract a tooth or 2 on the drive sprocket to get the RPM,s down at higher speeds . However,If I do this will I now have to slip clutch a lot from a dead stop each time to get it rolling ? What,s all involved in changing the drive gear, how many teeth etc, or is it even advisable or worth it ? Gene in Mn.

I did a similar thing on my T100 and it worked well for me as the engine is a lot more relaxed and sits nearer its maximum torque at legal highway speed. I did this in increments; I went up one tooth on the front sprocket and then down two teeth on the rear. Acceleration is slightly reduced but not to the point where it is an issue. There are a few websites that will show you what effect each change makes. Gearing Commander is one.

Jim.

The wiring harness is in and it went well thanks to all your tips,were very helpful Another question. I prefer hwy cruising 60 -70 mph & don't want to turn the high RPMs required to do this, hearing the engine sing ,making it a bit more uncomfortable & tiring to ride long distances. So I want to add or subtract a tooth or 2 on the drive sprocket to get the RPM,s down at higher speeds . However,If I do this will I now have to slip clutch a lot from a dead stop each time to get it rolling ? What,s all involved in changing the drive gear, how many teeth etc, or is it even advisable or worth it ? Gene in Mn.
I went the other way on my t120 to try and make the 6th gear more usable , improve acceleration slightly BUT mainly to improve low speed handling especially on roundabouts and junctions------lowering by two teeth at the rear will change your whole gearing by 5%. and drop the revs by same amount for any given road speed . -----gear commander gives all the data. What I can tell you is that the T120 ---whose gearing you are approaching needs clutch slip on slow junctions and roundabouts also back brake to keep it under control now i believe that as standard the speedtwin is some 15% lower so your decision to go 5 will probably be OK and not need excessive clutch work at slow speeds. .Now although I lowered my gearing by just 5% it made a noticeable difference. in the riding experience.

Last edited:
Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom