Duezzer

Local time
Today, 02:53
First Name
Glenn
My Ride
2017 T120
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has done the TEC cam upgrade. If anyone has i would love to know hear your experience.

Thanks
.Glenn

I have. Got the Tec Cam installed in my 2017 T-120 Bonneville. I have x pipe , TBR slip ons , snorkel removed , K & N filter and power commander. Waiting for the weather to warm up to dyno it. The dyno guy wants 15 deg c weather. I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada.

Here is a dyno BEFORE the Tec Cam. This was with the slip on pipes , x pipe , snorkel removed . K&N filter and power commander. Almost 77 hp at rear wheel NOT corrected to sea level

Attachments

• Dyno2.jpeg
    Dyno2.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 17
I will post TEC Cam Dyno as soon as I get it done. I have not heard it run but the mechanic said it sounds great.

Darth,

Really appreciate the info. I live down just out of Calgary.. wishing it was nice enough to to go for a rip but we are still much in winter here too.

Must take this opportunity to thank you Stampeders and Oilers for sending tons of Personal Protection Equipment to your fair weather friends here in eastern Canada . Mighty big of you and really appreciated . Hopefully those in power will start to return the favour , it is about time . Sorry about the snow ...

I have a 2018 t120 and have read reviews online about the Tec bike parts cam for the T120. They all say it is just very good and gives a lot more power and more to the point for big twins a lot more torque.
If you take a look at a standard T120 cam you can see the outlet lobe has no where near enough lift on it. This supresses the power and was done to comply with EU emissions control as was the CAT.
The standard cam has good lift on the intake side and so to make real power there has to be enough lift on the outlet side to evacuate all the gas and there isnt. This is why the TECBIKE PARTS Cam works so well.
I will be buying and installing one as soon as they come back from Quarantine.
In the meantime take off the left side cover and remove the air snorkel buy undoing the one torque head screw and pull it out. I did and I can tell you it gives a very noticeable increase in power and torque and she roars from around about 3500/4000 up. I can now accelerate in 6th gear from 80 to 180 kmh (115mph +/-) very quickly, quicker than it use to be. You will see how long that snorkel is. It goes all the way into the air box and seriously restricts the airflow. More air in = more power out. With the snorkel off, good pipes on and the TEC cam fitted these engines will fly imo. You wont get the benefit of good pipes until you fix the outlet valve lift with the cam no matter how much your pipes cost. Engines rely on air in and gas out being fairly equal in volume for performance and at the moment the T120 series isnt balanced.

Tec Cam installed.
This dyno was done in the spring of 2020 . All the dynos were not corrected to sea level so they depended on the air density on the dyno day. So it picked up about 5 hp and lost 2 ftlb of torque. But different days with uncorrected air densities and very high humidity in the air this spring. So yes the Tec Cam makes more power. Runs pretty good. Burns more fuel , but then again I am useing my new power more often. Gets around 60 mpg imperial. Going to install the pods next

Attachments

• Image (15).jpg
    Image (15).jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 21
Glad you had a successful install. TUP

The hp increase may not seem that huge but the fact that it delivers it from less than 4000 rpm to redline is really impressive.

So according to https://www.classicbike-raisch.de/en/triumph-lc-16/engine-tuning-power/raisch-tuning-kits/bonne you lose 6 Hp from crank to wheel. So my T120 is making81.89 at crank plus 6 hp loss = 87 Hp at the crank not corrected to sea level. Air density here in Edmonton Alberta (elvation of 2300 ft ) is usually over 3000 ft density altitude (being low it was probably 3500 +) . I bracket race so am quite familiar with the air here. So lets say it was 3000 on dyno day. It would correct to sea level at about 95 hp @ the crank. So power commander, slip on pipes , delete cat , K&n filter , cam and remove snorkel about a 15 hp gain.

Its a t 120 R .

All great info for others to know. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Must go like a scalded cat.;)

Went for a good ride today. It runs nice and easily gets to 180 kmph. Pulls hard in all the gears even in 6th. I do have 2 more teeth In the rear sproket also. It runs good and sounds good. Does not pull down at all on hills.

factory tuning is ALWAYS compromised!!! but depending on your desires + wallet bolt ons can help + a better tune to match bolt ons. thanks for the info!! getting better power at typical riding is best for most + a simple + cheap gear helps a lot at a minimal mpg loss, so i went to 41 in the rear that still worked with 100 link chain + centered the adjuster

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom