Checking Oil On 2008 Rocket 3

John Bakker

Local time
Today, 13:33
My Ride
2019 Street Scrambler
Helping a friend to get this info. Bike is a 2008(I believe) Rocket 3. Bike was upset w/sidecar but no other damage. Not sure if oil leaked out of crankcase. Friend checked dipstick and nothing showing. Is this normal? How can he be sure there is sufficient oil before attempting to start? I should add that the bike has a sidecar attached so can only be checked with bike upright. Friend says that he also has not been able to get bike to turn over after charging battery. I'm sure it's something simple like kill switch because the bike was running before this accident. Appreciate any info any Rocket 3 owners can provide here as I'm unfamiliar with this model, owning a Street Scrambler myself. Thanks! John.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I would not start it with no oil showing on the dipstick. I do not know the proper way to check oil level for an R3. The owners manual should tell you or try a YouTube search. But make sure it has oil before you start it.

Is it possible that the bike has a hydrostatic lock caused by oil leaking into the cylinders when the bike was on its side? If this is the problem causing the engine not to turn over, the fix is to remove the spark plugs then turn the engine over a few times. This will force any trapped oil to come out of the spark plug holes. Of course, check the kill switch before you go to the trouble of pulling the spark plugs, Also check to make sure the battery is holding a full charge.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
You are very welcome. Plese let us know what you find.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom